What's a GGOD nonstick pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing these green pans,copper pans, square"copper Chef" pans.I've tried the green one and it's garbage. Stuff still sticks to it. Anyone try the others?

I bought two "Swiss Diamond" pans a year ago because they were top rated from a well-known testing company. they are not cheap, but they are great. I do not use ANY oil or butter in the pan. cleanup is simply wiping it out. the pans look brand new, and they get used daily.

T-fal and Calphalon get good reviews. I think if you are cooking with gas you will almost always get sticking because it's hard to control the temperature. If you have electric stove top try getting an infrared thermometer and seeing what temperatures you're sticking at.

75% of the time when cooking I will use either a Calphalon frying pan, which are simply hard anodized aluminum, or Corning Visions Cranberry colour glass (no longer made) pots mostly.

Don't forget properly seasoned cast iron. I have some smaller ones I use to cook one egg for "McMuffins" or to make a Denver Sandwich.

Plus I also have a set of good quality (stainless, not glass, lids is your primary indicator) Cuisinart pots & pans that are triple ply with the internal element going up the sides as well as encapsulated on the base. They are bare stainless on the outside layer, no non-stick anything, and they clean up perfectly. The bonus is you can use crusted meat to create glazes and gravies with this type of pot or pan.

The problem with non-stick coatings is they are not to be used with anything higher than medium heat. The non-coating types (anodized, glass, cast iron) can take the heat without an added coating breaking down and contaminating the food you are eating.

Good quality cast iron is non-stick. One of the biggest errors that novices make is not getting the pan hot before putting in the food. Just like stainless steel (which is also non-stick if handled correctly) the pores in cast iron need heat to close up before the food is put in the pan.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think if you are cooking with gas you will almost always get sticking because it's hard to control the temperature.

You think wrong. Gas is much easier to control the temperature-it's constant on, adjustable flame rather than on and off like an electric.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is the stuff that makes a frying pan a so called non-stick pan bad for your health?

Not anymore. The new non stick pans, such as the Copper, green and white ones are simply a Ceramic mix. No teflon.

And therein lies the problem. Non stick pans often tend to use similar non PFOA chemistry, and have similar non stick performance. Better to simply get a thick one, for good heat distribution. These are highly rated and well priced:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ16/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH41860

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I bought two "Swiss Diamond" pans a year ago because they were top rated from a well-known testing company. they are not cheap, but they are great. I do not use ANY oil or butter in the pan. cleanup is simply wiping it out. the pans look brand new, and they get used daily.

I bought a pair of SD frying pans off Amazon.Great pans and are PFOA-free.
I had a handle come loose on one and after having it for over 5 years,Swiss Diamond sent me a replacement.

I use a t-fal made in France not China. They come from both places. I use my 8 inch every morning and I have to replace the pan yearly. I would love to find something that would last for several years.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
... the pores in cast iron need heat to close up before the food is put in the pan.

Close. It's the nooks and crannies on the surface that need to be seasoned (filled with oil) for a non-stick surface. The modus operandi and requirements of the cast iron pan surface is little different from the cylinder walls of an engine block.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I use a t-fal made in France not China. They come from both places. I use my 8 inch every morning and I have to replace the pan yearly. I would love to find something that would last for several years.
read my recommendation

Originally Posted By: Kestas
... the pores in cast iron need heat to close up before the food is put in the pan.

Close. It's the nooks and crannies on the surface that need to be seasoned (filled with oil) for a non-stick surface. The modus operandi and requirements of the cast iron pan surface is little different from the cylinder walls of an engine block.

Not correct. A well seasoned cast iron pan that is used cold will still stick. While the seasoning does fill in, there are still "nooks and crannies" that tighten up with heat-it works the same as stainless steel. Hint: it's why you see restaurant kitchens keep their cast iron and stainless hot during a service.

And just an FYI-we're not talking about engine blocks-we're talking about cast iron pans. Different uses and different metallurgy.

Sorry, I'll have to take issue with the cast iron. I'm too familiar with it on a microstructural level to know there is no practical difference in metallurgy between a frying pan and an engine block.

The nooks and crannies do not "tighten up".

Whether heat has a practical affect on non-stick is beyond my knowledge and experience.

Good points Kestas, I like your common sense and knowledge
smile.gif

Not correct. A well seasoned cast iron pan that is used cold will still stick. While the seasoning does fill in, there are still "nooks and crannies" that tighten up with heat-it works the same as stainless steel. Hint: it's why you see restaurant kitchens keep their cast iron and stainless hot during a service.

And just an FYI-we're not talking about engine blocks-we're talking about cast iron pans. Different uses and different metallurgy.
Sorry, I'll have to take issue with the cast iron. I'm too familiar with it on a microstructural level to know there is no practical difference in metallurgy between a frying pan and an engine block.

The nooks and crannies do not "tighten up".

Whether heat has a practical affect on non-stick is beyond my knowledge and experience.

Just my opinion here ( I have used cast iron for years) I do think even seasoned cast iron sticks if its not good and hot. My opinion is that seasoning the pan, fills the pores( not sure pores are a correct term but i'll go with it) with carbon, hence using fat usually with out any salt for the first seasoning. Once a good layer of carbon is established, it holds oil/fat. The heating of the pan releases oil from within the carbon preventing sticking.

I only use hot water( salt if i need to) to clean mine. I oil after washing.

With cast iron and carbon steel you still need to have some technique when cooking. You need to know proper temps and methods for the food(s) you are cooking. With non-stick you can just go for it.

I prefer cast iron, carbon steel and SS myself, but the rest of my family could never get the hang of them. If I cook an egg on one of my pans it does not stick, but if my wife tries it sticks every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back