Lube for squeaky interior door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
WD-40 is the obvious choice, but I don't want the mess that comes with it. Any other alternatives that won't cause an oily mess?

I used Johnson/evinrude blue marine grease and it worked good for a couple years. Just spread a tab on the part that spins, assuming you're talking about car door hinges. I only used it because I don't use it much on anything and I liked the color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop the pin out of the hinge and clean it. Then clean the hinges themselves, and before you put the pin back in lightly wax it with beeswax.

Repeat after me: "WD-40 is not a lubricant"

I use a light coat of whatever grease I have handy. Typically Valvoline Syn-Power. I have also popped the hinge pin up a bit a dropped in a little motor oil. Both seem to have worked more or less permanently.

I like to remove and clean the hinges, apply massive amounts of white lithium grease, and shove the pin back in until the grease runs out everywhere. There's probably a better grease for the application, but white lithium grease in a tube is cheap.

i've used 5w20 in an oil can/parts oiler.
put a drop in each hinge seam and swing door back and forth until the squeaking stops..

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Pop the pin out of the hinge and clean it. Then clean the hinges themselves, and before you put the pin back in lightly wax it with beeswax.

I would do this, but is seems to be common out West that the builders paint the hinges. Of course mine are painted, and I don't want to chip all the paint off.

That makes it hard. I've used silicone spray lube to do that. It penetrates and doesn't make a mess, but it also doesn't last more than 6 or so months in my experience. I always knock the pins out now and put them back with a couple of drops of Amsoil ISO46 compressor oil (it's just what I keep handy in a syringe). Any good oil or grease will do a credible job. I like the sound of beeswax too.

Any hinge I've done in the last 5 years by knocking out the pin and doing it properly has not yet had to be revisited. If you use a fine punch you can knock the pin out only damaging a spot of paint on the pin top and bottom (you need to use a fine punch to knock it back in to save blowing all the paint off the head). You then need to use a lubricant that won't stain the paint as it leaches out of the joins between the halves.

Or just use silicone spray and be prepared to re-do it every 6 months.

Use something without a messy aerosol spray. A drop or two of light oil, like 3 in one oil or similar and wipe off any excess. I've got a bottle of Lubegard Universal Lube I use for things like this.

Best is a wax if your hinges are painted. You can get into problems repainting with some of the suggestions here. Beeswax, gulfwax-whatever.

I like the wax idea. I pop the pins out and scratch them with coarse sandpaper then lightly coat with red grease. Never had an issue. If the door swings open or closed on its own then bend the pin slightly before re installing.

if your hinges are painted remove them and soak in paint stripper or lacquer thinner, then clean, then reinstall them. these should be brass hinges, and not need any lube. they might have dust in them and that is what makes them squeak, taking the door off at the pins and cleaning everything good should make them quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back