House brand oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up Auto Zone 5w20 synthetic for $1/quart - guess that's Warren ?
Reckon that's good enough for the wonky ICE in my Fusion Hybrid ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Warren Distribution was founded by Warren Oil - WPP started out with antifreeze (from their website) ...

Two different companies. Looks like they were never connected.

Warren Distribution was founded in 1922 as Warren Oil Company by James Schlott.

WARREN OIL COMPANY, began in 1976 with one semi-automatic packaging line. Irvin Warren started Warren Oil Company with two employees in a small building in Dunn, North Carolina.

Originally Posted By: JR
Oil is oil. I have used house oils for years, from ST and PartsMaster/Napa are my top choices in stock.
I have stocked peak, service pro, and Smittys time to time.

Harvey

Unless you are 1st and last owner of your vehicles, then you really do not know if oil-is-oil.

BTW..... oil is oil nowadays. The quality of house oils today is much better than yesteryear.

Signed
First & Last owner of my vehicles..... from birth until rust-bucket death.
smirk.gif

In today's world, it's not the oil that matters-most. It's when / how often you change that oil. It's knowing what sits in that drain pan may / may not be contaminated with coolant or fuel. It's knowing if you own a sludge-maker engine.....etc....etc.

Last edited:
I beg to differ there. My work uses Safety Kleen re refined oil and sometimes when we run out
We use Parts master oil or NAPA oil. Oil is oil as my dad has used NAPA/WPP oil in his rig and stuff for decades. Changed at appropriate intervals; you shouldn't have problems

Warren oils stuff you may of seen around ? Seems it is Itasca, Coastal, LubriGold,

Originally Posted By: kohnen
Since GM came out with the Dexos spec, I've decided to use only oil that meets that spec and is licensed by GM for all my cars (mine and my kids'). It gives me reasonable assurance that I've got good oil. ...

I agree, the Dexos spec is a sturdy oil and good baseline for judging oil on, and if it meets that, I have no issues with it for my needs.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I picked up Auto Zone 5w20 synthetic for $1/quart - guess that's Warren ?
Reckon that's good enough for the wonky ICE in my Fusion Hybrid ?

Auto Zone branded oil was Amalie Oil.
I have some AZ syn in my Scion now with no concerns for a 5000 mile OCI. It is a Dexos approved oil also.

Now that it is STP oil, not sure who the maker is (but it also is a Dexos spec oil).

I'm running Napa syn ATM and it's my first experience with a house brand oil. No consumption, odd noises or smells. So far, so good!

Cool - I'll run the $1 AZ for 5k and then break out the $2 MSS ...
wink.gif

Last edited:
I used to when I didn't know squat about oil, but now I prefer to use name brands so I know what I'm getting and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. House brands make good lawnmower oil, however! I use the O'reilly's brand straight 30wt in my mower, it likes a single grade in it.

Be very careful with oils from DG and such.....their oils should be closely checked to make sure the oil is formulated for your intended use; DG has a few engine oils (as an example) that clearly state the oil is intended for 1988 and earlier engines and also warns the oil may not provide adequate protection in "more modern engines".

The oils like these at the discount places are not intended to deceive anyone and the labels are very specific but some folks may be tempted by the $0.89 per quart.....it pays to read and understand the labels.

Back in the day Kmart oil was the best. That's all I ran in my Ford Fiesta. That motor worked hard and took my abuse till the day I totaled out the car. Up in Michigan they are using recycled oil. That's what I heard. I haven't seen it here in Florida though

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Our shop truck gets napa or proline every 6-8k. Has 419k on it now and still passes the california smog test.

Conventional or synthetic?
conventional

Most house brands are made by the same people anyways: WPP, Citgo, Warren Distribution, etc.

Avoid gas station oil at all costs though. If you look at the back of most of them, they say "Not suitable for engines made after 1930" or something like that in small print. It's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back