Going from Amsoil/Redline to cheaper Castrol oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I was previously using Redline 5W-30 in my Lexus IS 250 and now I'm currently running Amsoil 5W-30. I decided with Amsoil last oil change as it was quite a bit cheaper than the Redline, Au$153 vs Au$207 for 9 quarts.
I've just noticed that a large retailer over here in Australia has a great deal on some Castrol Magnetec Start Stop 5W-30 full synthetic which I stocked up on to use in my Mrs Corolla. It's dirt cheap, $28 for 5L! It's also API grade SN, the more premium Castrol Edge full synthetic is only API SL (not sure why this is, can someone chime in on this as I thought Edge was a much more premium oil?)

Anyway, I was thinking about stocking up on this and using it in my IS 250 just because of how [censored] cheap it is compared to Redline and Amsoil, and I was wondering if it would be sufficient for the job? I know it's obviously not as good as the Amsoil or Redline...
I should also mention that I use genuine Toyota oil filters and drop the oil every 15,000kms, vehicle has done 165,000kms, 50/50 highway and city driving

Cheers

Last edited:
Boutique oils such as redline and Amsoil are generally superior. Great products in their line up. But their higher prices just don't give the same value as the mainstream like M1, Castrol, etc.

Your Toyota's will love it and the engines will likely outlast the car...

Well I've always liked using the best of the best however for the price of an oil change using Redline, I could buy enough Castrol oil for 5 changes!

I always liked using the best of the best too, but you have to be able to sort through all the hype associated with some of the more costly products. I think your car will be fine with a less expensive alternative as long as it meets the mfg. specs. An added plus is you'll have more money to spend on other things from the savings.

Nice car! I have an IS350, and was going to go trade it in for a new Camry, but decided against it after one test drive. My Lexus was a good bit quieter ride, so I just paid to have a reseal job done on the timing cover which is a common repair on Toyota V6. Engine had to come out, so it was not cheap. Had the works done on it including spark plugs with new tube seals, transmission flush, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, rear end drain and fill, and a new water pump installed since it did have a little bit of play in the shaft.

I think the Edge you are referring to is rated A3/B4, and is one of the best oils money can buy in the main stream.

Originally Posted By: antik
I know it's obviously not as good as the Amsoil or Redline...
I should also mention that I use genuine Toyota oil filters and drop the oil every 15,000kms, vehicle has done 165,000kms, 50/50 highway and city driving

I object:
(1) A high-quality oil like Mobil 1's 15000 mile oil is every bit as good as Amsoil SS... and costs half the price (about $4.50/quart versus 10/quart). Their VOA shows similar stoutness.

(2) Toyota, Honda, and some other OEM filters are very poor at filtration, because they simply buy a no-name brand that is cheap. Switch them out for Pure One, Purolator, or some other company that does nothing but filters (and therefore does it well). Yes I know it's just one graph, but there are additional studies which show the same results.

Also I recommend a good air filter. Once again steer clear of OEM. My research shows ACDelco scores highest or second-highest across three studies.
eao-efficiency-chart.jpg

That's a real nice make over for the Lexus - don't get within 100m of a new car lot for at least another 50k ...
wink.gif

What is this "stoutness" of which y'all speak?

Seen it quite a bit lately, but I'm unclear how, or if, its being defined.

Shear stability, maybe? Oxidation resistance? TBN?

Presumably not, since there'd be no reason not to say any of those instead.

All of the above and then some?

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
(2) Toyota, Honda, and some other OEM filters are very poor at filtration, because they simply buy a no-name brand that is cheap. Switch them out for Pure One, Purolator, or some other company that does nothing but filters (and therefore does it well). Yes I know it's just one graph, but there are additional studies which show the same results.

Also I recommend a good air filter. Once again steer clear of OEM. My research shows ACDelco scores highest or second-highest across three studies.

Where? This is the second time I've seen you make such a statement, you ignored my question the last time I asked it. Where have you seen these "additional studies"? Please provide references because I'd like to see them.

And your research? Please provide details.

I've used Toyota and Honda OEM filters (both oil and air) since new on all three of my Asian vehicles, I'd like to see how I would have gotten more life out of them had I used better filters (in accordance with these studies you've seen and done yourself).

I also use OEM filters on my BMW, has your research shown anything about those? Or was it confined to Asian vehicles?

You are better with your Edge being SL and not SN in 5w30 grade. I would use Edge over Amsoil and Redline any day, even if there was no price difference.

Great marketing on their behalf I admit.

Blackstone has my oil sample and I'm waiting for the results at 160K total miles. I'm using Red Line 0w-30 in an 03 V8 4Runner that is used in what I'd call severe duty. I pull a horse trailer and a utility trailer with a loaded vehicle in desert and rugged mountain terrain over badly rutted dirt roads. I do 10K changes and the Mobil 1 oil filter every other oil change. I'm looking forward to see what the results show. From my experience that of some friends, Red Line is excellent for tough going and 10K changes. We'll see.

I object:
(1) A high-quality oil like Mobil 1's 15000 mile oil is every bit as good as Amsoil SS... and costs half the price (about $4.50/quart versus 10/quart). Their VOA shows similar stoutness.

eao-efficiency-chart.jpg

Toyota and Honda make good quality vehicles and my experience with Toyota branded replacement parts is they are high quality as well. Why would either company, then, provide "cheap" oil filters with their name on them. I call [censored]. Toyota wiper blades, for example, are as good as they get. Toyota and Honda have made an engineering decision with regard to flow vs filtration and given the number they buy could get whatever they want for a few cents more or less. I doubt they will risk their reputation for long engine life to save a few cents on a filter.

Last edited:
Agreed!
When I was in the ICU the nurse gave me a Purolator oil filter to use as a urinal.....
Thank God it was the long truck type like a PF35 clone. I asked why and she told me it ain't good for nutt'n else but to
p- in.

Quote:
Switch them out for Pure One, Purolator, or some other company that does nothing but filters (and therefore does it well). Yes I know it's just one graph, but there are additional studies which show the same results.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Agreed!
When I was in the ICU the nurse gave me a Purolator oil filter to use as a urinal.....
Thank God it was the long truck type like a PF35 clone. I asked why and she told me it ain't good for nutt'n else but to
p- in.
Maybe they were out of cardboard Fram OCODs.

Quote:
Switch them out for Pure One, Purolator, or some other company that does nothing but filters (and therefore does it well). Yes I know it's just one graph, but there are additional studies which show the same results.

Well I've always liked using the best of the best however for the price of an oil change using Redline, I could buy enough Castrol oil for 5 changes!

Although I'm an Amsoil fan and hate BP, 5:1 on the price makes the Castrol the clear winner here and is a good oil. You could always perform a UOA and see if the other oils have 1/5 the wear metals, but I sincerely doubt they will.

Agree with switching filters - Amsoil is a very good choice there; don't know what brands/types are available in Australia.

If it's a daily driver, not modified, and not circuit raced or something, it's way overkill. You are not heating the oil hard enough to need Redline. Won't comment on Amsoil ...

Good major refiner oil will do the trick almost every time and the engine will last for decades
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Where? This is the second time I've seen you make such a statement, you ignored my question the last time I asked it. Where have you seen these "additional studies"? Please provide references because I'd like to see them.

And your research? Please provide details.

I've used Toyota and Honda OEM filters (both oil and air) since new on all three of my Asian vehicles, I'd like to see how I would have gotten more life out of them had I used better filters (in accordance with these studies you've seen and done yourself).

I also use OEM filters on my BMW, has your research shown anything about those? Or was it confined to Asian vehicles?

He is saying to use tear olator over OEM? ROFL...
My last oil change I used a napa proselect not known for great filtration and yet my oil analysis came back great... the OEM filters typically have more media on Toyota's and maybe they dont match a fram ultra but good luck proving they result in any engine or performance issues.

I object:

eao-efficiency-chart.jpg

The source of your chart is "www.oildepot.ca" (use the post as the quote and you will see the chart source). www.oildepot.ca is an Amsoil distributor.

And since you are discussing OEM filter performance, I see your chart shows the "A02" version of the Honda filter. The A02 filter is made by Fram. All knowledgeable Honda enthusiasts use the A01 version, made by Filtech.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back