Coldest you have washed / detailed car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's 34 degrees. My Amazon order of Collonite 476 came in yesterday and I wanted to try it out...so I waited until it warmed up to the high of 37 today to get started. The wind certainly didn't make it feel any warmer. I'll give her another coat when the weather warms up a bit.

So what's the coolest temp you have detailed your ride in?

A couple years back, when we had that really cold winter, my poor car was covered in salt for weeks! Finally got a day where it was close to freezing, so I took it to a coin wash and cleaned her up good, then threw a few coats of spray wax wax to make her shine.

Sure made me feel a little bit better....

Ive done it at about -10 celsisus..but just a hand wash..if your hands arent frozen from hand washing in ice cold water..no way I was going to hand wax at that point nor would I think the wax would adhere well anyways.

Car looks great btw
smile.gif

Washed - dunno, but if hosing salt off counts probably just above freezing, otherwise it would have ...er...frozen.

Detailed - that would be when [censored] Oh, OK, [censored]'s Oh OK, ...um... Behelzebub's Basement Swimming Pool freezes over.

Last edited:
-10C with windchill. But I was inside however I had to move the vehicle from the wash bay to the other barn. Froze all the water on the vehicle quick.

Last edited:
You guys are brave. Coldest I ever washed and waxed was about 47F. Even then it was really annoying. Paste wax doesn't generally want to cooperate and clay bars stiffen up and won't mold.

Washing and waxing when it's warm is the best.

46 degrees December 2015. Washed and waxed the VW I sold to a guy who flew down from Montana to buy it.

Why bother? When you trade that car in two years from now, the next owner will just be looking for a cheap beater.

^ b/c people like looking good?

I hosed my cutlass ciera off in the middle of winter, about 20'F, with the hot water hose for my washing machine. I ran it out my 2nd story apartment window on down. The hot water really dissolved salt better than anything else. No soap or anything. I left the doors open so they wouldn't freeze shut when I was done.

There was enough of a slope to the driveway, the rinse water found its way to a storm drain without forming too much black ice.
wink.gif

Back in 78, Omaha NE, 36 degrees. Washed with water in shorts and a t-shirt. Just got done with one of the longest, coldest winters in history! So to me, it seemed warm!

55 and sunny. Anything below that and it is going to wait.

If my hose isn't frozen, the sun is out, and I'm in the mood I do it if it needs to be done.

I don't have the patience or determination to do DIY washes in the winter. Give me a nice spring day and I'll be out there no problem.

Its going to be low 70's this week after 20's/30's this weekend. Sounds like good time to bust the hose and cleaners out. Got a new DA polisher to try out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back