08 Mazda 6i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there;

I have Mazda 6 AT with 160k on the odometer; I am the second owner. I have owned it for past 6-7 years now. I've been used 5-20 conventional oil from Pennsoil, Mobile or Castrol interchangeably along with Mann cartiage filters only on the car but I've never used high mileage oil. Hovewer, I did not noticed some or if any use of the oil between the changes. I am doing it almost always at 3k miles intervals. I think it's PCV valve wasn't changed since it's new. I consider myself mechanically inclined but the replacement is somewhat difficult because it is hidden right underneath the exhaust manifold. It is two days job for me if I want to do it. The unit also seems to be OK and the car basically runs great. Recently I had a highway trip, round trip about 1.5k miles within 48hrs and the car was secure, dependable and pleasure to drive along the way.

So my question is should I consider switching it to HM oil anytime soon because its age and many miles or maybe that would extend my periods of oil change to 5k because the HM oil is a synthetic blend oil? so whats your take on it please?

I value and thanks for your input and advice.

Last edited:
I would change it to HM only if its using oil. Not clear by your post if its using it/burning it. How much oil do you add during the 3k miles? No need to change conventional oil at 3k..I would run it 5k at least. In your case..if it aint broke dont fix it. No need to change PCV if you arent using any oil.

Is that a V6 or the 2.3 I4? My Mazda 3 has the smaller 2.0, but almost identical to the 2.3 and at over 140k miles and the original PCV I'm not planning to change it, as the oil level stays the same throughout 5k OCIs. Also, on the I4s the PCV is under the intake manifold.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Is that a V6 or the 2.3 I4? My Mazda 3 has the smaller 2.0, but almost identical to the 2.3 and at over 140k miles and the original PCV I'm not planning to change it, as the oil level stays the same throughout 5k OCIs. Also, on the I4s the PCV is under the intake manifold.

The 6i would have the 2.3L. It is a good engine and the only time we really see mechanical issues is either the VCT TSB or people run them low on oil and seize the engine.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

The 6i would have the 2.3L. It is a good engine and the only time we really see mechanical issues is either the VCT TSB or people run them low on oil and seize the engine.
Do those engines have a timing belt or chain?

I thank far all you inputs good people!

Yes, it is I4 with a timing chain as well as its PCV valve is under manifold intake. The part itself is around $10 but it is a pain in the a** to replaced. I normally use Castrol GTX 5-20 conventional oil and fill it up next to full line so by the time I change it is about half of dipstick recommended level so then I change it anyways which is about every 3K miles. So my initial uestion was regarding of HM oils and how they would benefit me or perhaps change my car working condition in some way. So if I used HM oil does it mean I could not go back to a regular oil or something else along those lines(some other small things/changes). I honestly babying the car but it pays me back a favor as well in a form of not giving me any headaches. The car will last well over 200K that I am pretty sure and I plan to keep it till it dies on me basically.

That being said the car has its quirks as any other vehicle being 8 years old or with 160K. Lately I have noticed vibration on a traffic light thru the steering wheel. This maybe my fault. Not a long ago I tried to clean MAF sensor and body throttle so I used one of those clean up spays from AutoZone so since then there is increasing vibration at a stop sign or a traffic light. I probably used the spray more than I should and just babying it step further even there is no need for it. Just like somebody said if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
mazdas are known to have poor motor mounts. They could perhaps be the problem with the vibration. My new 6 with 26k occasionally vibrates at a light. I had a 2010 3 that I did have to change the mounts in the 115k I had it.

@E150
It is not something I cannot live with so I'll pass the change of mounts for now but over the weekend I plan work on cleaning up of the body throttle so I'll go from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back