Would you buy a used car from New York?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
been in NYC area pretty much all of its life. It only has 51k miles, so it hasn't been on the road a ton.

That means lots of short trips and sitting around unused; all bad news when it comes to rust.

I would want to inspect such a vehicle personally before taking a chance; it could be a corroded mess underneath.

There's no sure formula. I bought my current daily driver in Connecticut back in 2009. It was 7 years old with 22,000 miles....obviously driven very little, maybe even short tripped all its life. There was no history with it, other than it was picked up at another dealership on trade in from some old guy and then flipped to this used car lot as a "favor." I couldn't care less if the story was true or not, as the car looked perfect. Wasn't a spot of rust anywhere. The car looked 2 years old. There "should" have been rust on it, but there wasn't. I've had it 7 years now and there's some light rust on the undercarriage and frame now that I will apply some POR 15 to next summer. When I did a trans pan removal in June there was some light rust on it which I attended to with POR 15. Even after 15 years in New England, the car is generally rust free. I don't know why everyone is so scared of northern cars. I'd be leery of a Florida car that sat anywhere near the coast. And constant summer humidity isn't exactly a blessing for keeping rust at bay. There are good and bad cars everywhere. You can buy an abused, short-tripped car just as easily in Florida as anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
According to the Swedes who did a study of this topic
cars kept in heated garages tended to rust more than cars which were left outside. The snow and ice built up during use melted in the garage and the car sat in salty water when not in use.

I'd agree with this. The reaction to form rust is optimized in the 30-40 deg F range. At least I read that years ago. So bringing all that slush stuck to your car into a 35 deg F. garage is just ideal. Then that same slop eats into your concrete floor if not protected. I recall some people noting that cars living in super frigid winters like in North Dakota often experience less rusting than cars living much further south like the middle of the rust belt. If the car just sits outside in 20 deg F weather that's a protection of sorts.

May not have a lot of miles but I bet there is a [censored] ton more of engine hours on it vs. another like vehicle driven in normal HWY/CTIY environment.

My opinion as a motor vehicle repair professional, originally from NY:

No. NYC cars live very difficult lives. Beaten on terrible roads, being soaked in salted slush, going most of the winter without a good wash or wax, short tripping, etc.

Even the worst examples of Southern cars pale in comparison to the common bad examples of NYC car. The vehicles I see in the junkyard here don't look as bad underneath as the stuff that drives around up there.

Being a mechanic in NYC was great training for working on boats that operate in salt water.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Considering a 9 year old car that Carfax says has been in NYC area pretty much all of its life. It only has 51k miles, so it hasn't been on the road a ton. Carfax shows plenty of oil changes on a good schedule.

Thinking of potential rust because of the winter (snow) applications. Grew up in the Midwest and now live in the high desert. The lack of rust here is amazing in comparison.

Should I be worried about potential rust based on the life it's lived to this point?

Rust loves a car that sits outside and is barely driven. The good news? You can see if its rusted by looking at it.

Actually outside is better than inside with respect to saving a vehicle, assuming both cars are driven over the winter. Obviously a car that stays inside and is not driven in the winter will have very little rust.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Considering a 9 year old car that Carfax says has been in NYC area pretty much all of its life. It only has 51k miles, so it hasn't been on the road a ton. Carfax shows plenty of oil changes on a good schedule.

Thinking of potential rust because of the winter (snow) applications. Grew up in the Midwest and now live in the high desert. The lack of rust here is amazing in comparison.

Should I be worried about potential rust based on the life it's lived to this point?

Rust loves a car that sits outside and is barely driven. The good news? You can see if its rusted by looking at it.
According to the Swedes who did a study of this topic
cars kept in heated garages tended to rust more than cars which were left outside. The snow and ice built up during use melted in the garage and the car sat in salty water when not in use.

Yep definitely agree with that.

I live on long island about an hour from NYC. I would never buy any car from NYC.

Last edited:
My Jetta was originally bought and lived in Long Island. It does have quite a few dings here and there, but the undercarriage was (and still is) spotless besides the exhaust that's seen a couple winter drives so far. It was garage kept for sure. Luckily for me they moved to Georgia shortly after. I frequent Upper New York alot and there wouldn't be a chance in heck I'd buy a vehicle that's been there for long. Rockers, bedsides, even fenders are pretty much optional after 5-6 years.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
May not have a lot of miles but I bet there is a [censored] ton more of engine hours on it vs. another like vehicle driven in normal HWY/CTIY environment.

I am from New York and everyone seems to be referencing rust, but that is only part of the problem. I feel like 51k miles in NYC is like 150k in Oklahoma.

Endless traffic, slamming on the gas, slamming on the brakes... just a lot of wear & tear on numerous components.

I saw this dime piece preety thang on sales, AS A USED CAR, it was a mid 90s sc400, white in color so a sleeper as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back