Are these prices reasonable? They seem high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

My 2008 Nissan Versa needs some work done. I have no issue with brakes, hoses, oil changes etc. But some things I leave to the pro's. I have a photo of the quote. To me, these prices are way off. Any thoughts?

This is from a locally owned shop. Not a dealership.

Last edited:
I have been going to this dealership for years and all of a sudden it's like they raised prices 2-3 times the normal amount. I called to verify it was correct, and it sure was. They get great reviews so who knows. MD Auto in San Antonio TX.

Those prices look good to me, but all my shop experience is with the German OEMs and/or aircraft... So take that with a grain of salt.

Methinks is time to go to an independent shop or pick up some tools.

I would use aftermarket end links, replace the control arm bushings ONLY, (if the ball joints are still OK) and regrease and re-boot the axle. You won't save on labor but your parts costs should be significantly reduced.

Those numbers are high IMO. I was along side my mechanic during a engine and transmission change out last fall and got first hand insight to those parts and replacement of ball joints.

German car prices are higher but they are high end stuff like forged aluminum control arms in many cases, This is a Nissan disposable (no offense) so lets break it down.

Inner OE cv joint and boot. $210 add 30 for a outer boot and reboot/regrease the whole unit.

http://nissan.findlayauto.com/p/Nissan_2...&origin=pla

B&A lower control arms with ball joints $50 ea Rock Auto

Noog problem solver links $20 ea. Rock Auto

Alignment $75

For about $520 inc shipping and alignment you have parts that are as decent and close to OE, Nissan doesn't use high end on this model, stamped steel.
2.5 hrs labor if you take a coffee break and use air tools. If you did just the bushings not the complete arms as someone said its only a few bucks a side.

That's ridiculously high. Specially for a Versa and suspension components? Because if they are doing an axle, at least 50-60% of work is already done for links and control arms.

Plus, TX is way cheaper( as far as I know) from rates perspective. Are they asking ~$750 for control arms? Don't even walk, please RUN!

It's nearly $2,000 for labor and parts( I assume?). You can sell the car to me for $1,000.
laugh.gif

Please find a different place and buy your own parts, you'll end up paying 25-30% of their estimate. Good Luck.

Better than a new OE Nissan joint and boot? No way! Rebuilt shafts are the worst possible part to install, there are very few decent ones on the market.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
my experience is that replacing the axle with rebuilts is cheaper and better.

Agreed, I had a re-manufactured axle on one of my accord, went for ~84K miles and then I sold the car, but axle was still going strong. Provided, I don't drive like a maniac( more like a GPA).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Better than a new OE Nissan joint and boot? No way! Rebuilt shafts are the worst possible part to install, there are very few decent ones on the market.

I agree. Factory axles get cleaned, greased, and booted (if serviceable) or the joints get replaced with OEM. Parts store axles aren't worth a dang.

I recently paid a local indie shop $90 for a new NAPA driveshaft plus about $160 in labor to install on a Honda. A VA Honda dealer wanted $267 for a new Honda driveshaft. Honda remanu ones were not available for my vehicle. Your prices are out of line but probably include Nissan OEM parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back