Questions Regarding VOA Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a Napa oil analysis kit today and plan on sending off a sample of my SJ Kendall GT-1 High Performance SAE 30. The sample I'm wanting tested is poured in a 1 quart glass jar, which was clean and sealed upon opening it. My question is do I need to just sample some out of a sealed quart bottle to eliminate the possibility of contaminants? The jar was never previously used and I purchased it new. The jar has only been exposed to the light of my bedside lamp. The jar is holding just over a quart also, so am I going to have a higher concentration of additives from the oil being a quart and a half mixed? I'm thinking no, because how could that be any different than sampling from a 5 qt container? Thank you.

You keep oil next to your bedside? Well, we don't judge here.

As long as the jar is clean, it doesn't matter how much is in it. As long as the mix is still the same Valvoline oil, you are fine. The PPM is the concentration of the additives you'll see on a VOA.

Some questions...

The NAPA kit does not come with a sample bottle? This explains why they're so cheap...

They require a whole quart of oil for a test? If not I'd seriously look at sending a smaller sample, for multiple reasons. Cost and ease of shipping a smaller container to start, shipping a glass jar is also a hassle without having it broken in transit.

To try and answer your questions though.

The sample size shouldn't change the concentration or presence of additives as long as you shook the jug before you poured your sample.

A clean unused container should not contaminate your sample regardless.

As long as the containers holding the oil were clean and sealed prior to holding the oil, it should be fine for a basic VOA. If you want ultra cleanliness and are need extremely accurate results, you would probably want a more stringent cleanliness protocol, but I don't think what you are doing will be a problem.

Like Balrog said though; as long as both samples were well mixed and of the same oil before mixing, the additive concentration should be identical.

I have had the oil in a jar for awhile, just because I wanted to look at it. The kit does come with a sample container, I just happen to have what I want tested in a jar. I will pour what's needed into the sample container when I get ready to send it.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Some questions...

The NAPA kit does not come with a sample bottle? This explains why they're so cheap...

They require a whole quart of oil for a test? If not I'd seriously look at sending a smaller sample, for multiple reasons. Cost and ease of shipping a smaller container to start, shipping a glass jar is also a hassle without having it broken in transit.

To try and answer your questions though.

The sample size shouldn't change the concentration or presence of additives as long as you shook the jug before you poured your sample.

A clean unused container should not contaminate your sample regardless.

I have used the NAPA test kit, and I think the sample bottle holds four ounces if I remember correctly. It can be mailed as is in the bottle, but I put mine in a bubble wrap mailer, and then sent it off.

Originally Posted By: Red91

The sample is poured and ready to be mailed. Hopefully I can swing by the post office tomorrow.

Don't let them convince you that it needs any special handling or Priority Mail cost $6.80+. Blackstone puts First class postage on them and they travel just fine, but if you want USPS tracking then you'll likely have to spring for Priority at the PO.

If you sign up for a USPS account online or have PayPal you can print postage in your own, I print First class all the time for light packages and get the tracking for free.

My local post office, out in the sticks, said it had to go ground only. They called what ever postmaster to verify, and then said I call mail it first class. I don't blame them though for double checking because they do get fined for mistakes.

@Red91

You can set up an account with ALS Tribology Webtrieve to keep up with all the samples you send. They will email the results in PDF, so it's not necessary to set up an account.

http://www.alsglobal.com/en/Our-Services/Industrial/Tribology/Webtrieve

Just curious but how long is the typical wait time for analysis results? My sample should have arrived last Friday, so its been there a full week. Is that normal? I have the number to the lab, but talked myself out of calling to check on it, figuring two weeks tops is not unreasonable.

You never know Red. A few years ago, I started sending my samples priority and track their progress. Sometimes ALS will have the report done within a few days of arrival, other times it has taken 2 weeks plus.

When I was using Blackstone, they sometimes completed the report the same day. Other times, it took 7-10 days to get a report.

By tracking the sample in transit, I could see the wacky trip it sometimes made. My samples always leave my little post office in the sticks and go to Rochester, NY and from there....well it is hard to say what happens next. Give it the up coming week before you worry. Hopefully you'll get the report by the 27th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back