sub $2K new/leftover scooter...feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy a basic 50cc scooter for commutes to work, running errands, shopping, etc with my upcoming tax refund; my budget for total costs is under $2000...below $1800 is optimal; I want new or leftover to have a warranty...2 scooters meet my criteria and I want feedback as I continue researching:

Kymco Agility 50 4t... http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kymco/2014-kymco-agility-50-ar160782.html

Genuine Venture 50 4t... http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-reviews/first-ride-2016-genuine-venture-50/

which one and why? thanks

very small opportunity to snag a leftover 2013 Kymco Like 50 2t at reduced price but can't guarantee it will be available in a few months... http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kymco/2013-kymco-like-50-ar158205.html

any feedback on this one is welcome...

Bigger wheels would be better. 4 strokes are gutless, and hardly need to be restricted, the 2 strokes give more power specially if derestricted, but use more fuel. They are all far too heavy for 50cc.

Remember that both these scooters will struggle to do 40 on a flat with a light rider. as long as that's ok with you I'd say either is a good option. Genuine is just as well known and respected as Kymco.

I own a Honda Reflex scooter, a 250cc, water cooled, highway capable scooter. It has 3600 miles on it, and they typically sell well in your price range. I'd purchase something like this well before a 50cc machine.

I would see if one can find a nice used Yamaha(metro) or other in the 125cc area for that amount or less. Was a thread on scooters couple weeks ago that had a nice listing of scoots. A dealer may be able to offer you a warranty on a used scoot as well.

I bet you can find one with 500 miles that some old geezer thought would make him young for under a grand. These things depreciate like noone's business.

100% I would get the kymco 50 2stroke. I own one and it is quite peppy. Will hit 46 mph GPS on flat ground with a "tuck" it has been derestricted, very easy to do.
50cc 4 stroke you wil be lucky to hit 35mph on flat ground.
Of the 4 strokes listed I would get the genuine .

As far as I know the genuine is made in Taiwan and kymco 4 stroke made in China. Kymco 2 stroke made in Taiwan also .... I think

Check your local Craigslist, offer up, for a steal, especially in the winter. Warranty needed on a 50K vehicle? Sure
Warranty on a 2K vehicle. Not necessary.

Last edited:
Kymco and Genuine are both solid brands...but as others have suggested, and unless you just have to have new..lots of nice used ones available. A 150cc scoot will get you to 55 or 60mph...plenty fast enough for 45mph city streets.

SYM is also excellent, although their dealer support and general availability seem to be less..

Stay away from the [censored], generic Chinese brands and stck with the known Japanese or quality Taiwanese ( Kymco, Genuine, SYM)

Suggest checking out the Kymco and Genuine scooter forums, lots of great info. (I own a Kymco People S200..163cc..big, comfortable and has 16 in wheels)

thanks for feedback so far...just wanna mention a few things; I don't want to mess with used scoots because too many folks in my region park them for winter with ethanol blend fuels without properly stabilizing the gas; the other craigslist special is older Chinese scoots that were put up without any prep or consideration; resurrecting abused stuff will cost time & money; there are very few desirable used scoots in my area without paying dealer markups or consignments that are priced too high;

I also don't want a barn burner...basic economical commuting/errand transportation is good enough; I have a nice motorcycle for 35+ mph & recreational rides...thanks

I don't know much about the Chinese models. Many cost conscious folks swear by them. While I would be sure that some of these companies do make parts for the major makers...I would only guess that the longevity (overall quality) is not up to Honda, Yamaha, etc.

That being said....if it was me, I'd scour the area dealerships for leftover Yamaha Vino's and Honda Metropolitans. Both are rated highly and if taken care of, should last for many years of riding. I know that sometimes you can find one under $2000 if you try hard enough. The dealers don't always list them on websites either. You'd need to call around as far as you are willing to go. Many of the larder volume dealers will have a few in leftovers storage that they will bargain on to get rid of them. I know I got a 2014 Vino for under $2k and a 2016 for a bit more (out the door). When you are ready to buy, tell them you have cash in hand and will buy one right now if they have one under $2k.

If you already have a motorcycle, why bother with a scooter... 2k buys a lot of fuel. I mean, I have fun riding them on vacation (take them with the RV). But at home, with CT drivers... [censored] no. Need more get up and go.

it's actually fun to have both...I like my scooter for easy rides around town or to go to the store to pick up some beverages! My motorcycle has zero storage and I don't want to wear a backpack. The scooter is a lot more comfortable to ride..softer suspension and a more upright seating position (compared to my sportbike).

Honda's NC line of bikes offers a great amount of storage where usually the fuel tank is.
Given the money, I would buy one in an instant.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
thanks for feedback so far...just wanna mention a few things; I don't want to mess with used scoots because too many folks in my region park them for winter with ethanol blend fuels without properly stabilizing the gas; the other craigslist special is older Chinese scoots that were put up without any prep or consideration; resurrecting abused stuff will cost time & money; there are very few desirable used scoots in my area without paying dealer markups or consignments that are priced too high;

I also don't want a barn burner...basic economical commuting/errand transportation is good enough; I have a nice motorcycle for 35+ mph & recreational rides...thanks

Nothing a simple 30 min carb clean won't fix.....

I bought my kymco people 7 years ago for $175 non running. Popped with started fluid.
I cleaned the carb and it has been dead reliable ever since.
I haven't even changed the spark plug.

Sheesh people are SO lazy.
They post a question on here but already have their minds made up ....

Excuses are like bumholes , everyone has one.

ain't so much about being lazy...don't have alot of mechanical skills so anything [censored] up on a used machine is money I have to spend on parts & labor; also I asked about specific makes & models and I received suggestions outside of the ones mentioned...

basically I want the small ride to reduce wear & tear on my big ride; most likely gonna put a deposit to hold the Kymco Like 2-stroke until I get my tax refund if the shop allows such arrangements; later folks & thanks...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn

Nothing a simple 30 min carb clean won't fix.....

I bought my kymco people 7 years ago for $175 non running. Popped with started fluid.
I cleaned the carb and it has been dead reliable ever since.
I haven't even changed the spark plug.

Sheesh people are SO lazy.
They post a question on here but already have their minds made up ....

Excuses are like bumholes , everyone has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back