Silicone lubricant uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a one off type of question. What are some applications that come to mind when talking about silicone lubricant? Obvious, pure silicone spray or oil is good for various rubber and plastic seals including weather stripping, but what about something like the silikroil that adds silicone to penetrating oil? Does it offer anything better than the plain oil would?

I have used silicone oil for a variety of things over the years; AFX car axles, door hinges, and rubber preservative. I have never found it to be a great lubricant. Others may have different experience, but general purpose lubricants with graphite, Teflon, or molybdenum seem to work much better. Silicone spray can be a good water barrier for electrical connections (external only) and battery cables. Silicone grease, as we all know, does a decent job of preventing spark plug boots from sticking to the plugs. In the right form, it's also one of the few food grade lubricants out there.

The silicone grease I have is translucent "clear". It's a generic brand.
Can anyone guess at its general characteristics? OK for bicycles? ...disc brake pins? Kira

I used to use silicone spray to clean trans pans. Worked pretty well. I think it also helped older V belts to stay quiet.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Sliding sunroof rails and levers.

any sliding window channel

I'm not sure but in my experience it looks like to me that silicone lube take a little less dust powder from the air, than mineral or synthetic oils (?) are way better for rubber, plastic and squeeky pieces. I doesn't attack stirofoam (isopor), nylon, rubber, plastic ...

They get dry (sublimates a little) and white, but don't melt easy, like hydrocarbonians. Stay in place better.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I use silicone spray to lubricate the blade on my pruning saw. Also spray it on snow shovels to prevent the snow from sticking.

I use it on snow shovels too, and the snowblower auger.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I use silicone spray to lubricate the blade on my pruning saw. Also spray it on snow shovels to prevent the snow from sticking.

I use it on snow shovels too, and the snowblower auger.

+1

I soak carb gaskets in silicone spray before installing them. Its makes them able to be used many times without getting stuck to the carb body.
I also use it to remove and replace press fit rubber parts like the cush drive on motorcycles.

I use silicone grease on brake caliper pins and other sliding parts. It also gets slathered on rubber door seals and the custom airbox I cobbled together for the Falco.

Automtive door latches, low friction applications involving wood/plastic/rubber, etc. Blaster added Teflon to a number of their lubricant sprays including their silicone lube.

I had to buy some for my treadmill deck...Life Fitness used to make units that never needed lubrication (like our first two), guess they are cheaping out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back