2002 Ford Crown Victoria 195k, 5.2 on Maxlife 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous UOA

Since I put this oil in Ive gotten regular work and have been putting about 12 miles/day on it, and sometimes 500 on a weekend. My daily drive is all rural backroads with 50mph limit, but a few stop signs. My weekend getaways are obviously all highway. I have a block heater and have been using it religiously. I almost never idle to warm, maybe twice in the past month.

Length of time in service on the oil is was 5,250 miles, 3 1/2 months. Miles on the car is 194,750. (I planned it this way so my next change is at 200,000.)
Length of time in service on the oil filter is 12,750 miles, 6 1/2 months. It was left on again and will be changed at 200k with the oil.

Top up was 1 quart at about the 4.5k mile mark.

Still using Lubeguard Biotech oil treatment at 3oz/qt

This fill marks the transition to Maxlife Syn. Two quarts and what was left in the filter were blend, and the remaining was Syn along with the top up.
Oil filter is a Fram XG2

Code:

Iron 22

Chromium 1

Nickel 2

Aluminium 27

Copper 5

Lead 0

Tin 0

Silicon 18

Sodium 334

Potassium 3

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 201

Boron 10

Magnesium 2

Calcium 2193

Phosphorous 915

Zinc 747

Fuel
Soot
Water
Visc 8.7cSt@100C

TBN 4.37

Oxid 20

Nitr 12

Lab is OAI/Polaris

In the previous UOA there was discussion about the Al reading 19ppm with 7500 miles and now its 27 with 5250 so it is defiantly accumulating faster. Not sure why. The timing chains were discussed and thats a definite possibility. At the moment, the engine is quiet, so Im not going to do anything beyond drive to the next oil change. At that point I will have another UOA done and also cut open the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Hrm. What's with the Sil? Done any work lately? Air filter?

Si is on the decrease after I drove it 160 miles with no spark plug in the #5 hole. It was sucking dirt in and sanding the rings. You could see this because chromium was 5 and Si was 51 at the 175k change this occured during.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Ever consider switching from xW20 to thicker viscosity grades ?

Im thinking about going 5W30 Maxlife on the next change, but I doubt it will affect anything either way.

Last edited:

I would as you already have 1 qt of makeup during an OCI. That engine was originally designed for 5w-30 and only back specced to 5w-20 in 2001. Made the leap in my 2002 4.6L in 2015. And I experienced about a 1qt loss on 5w-20 synthetic, a lot less on 5w-20 conventional....and nothing on 5w-30 PP.

You can use this for comparison, didn't want to create a new thread. This is my regular mix of M1 0W-40 : M1 0W-20 EP = 4 : 3 which I presented to the lab as a mix of leftovers, just to see how they cope with it:

plus 6 hrs of idle time for this run; regular MC 820S filter

Interesting mix Y.K. of Mobil 1 oils. The net combination of those 2 gives a decent dose of every major additive except titanium and sodium. This seems to work very well for you. I have to wonder why none of the oil formulators or suppliers sell such an oil in this weighting? Mobil 1 has nothing like this in a single package.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I have to wonder why none of the oil formulators or suppliers sell such an oil in this weighting? Mobil 1 has nothing like this in a single package.

I would guess, it may be in the way of official certs, and the market for this kind of concoction may be limited.

I am happy with my metal numbers..

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I would as you already have 1 qt of makeup during an OCI. That engine was originally designed for 5w-30 and only back specced to 5w-20 in 2001. Made the leap in my 2002 4.6L in 2015. And I experienced about a 1qt loss on 5w-20 synthetic, a lot less on 5w-20 conventional....and nothing on 5w-30 PP.

The loss was 2 quarts per OCI before I started using Lubeguard.

It wont magic pill my wear numbers but Ill switch to 5W30 next OCI.

Jump up to a good 30 grade and watch that aluminum ppm drop like a rock. Have seen the same thing in Hyundai/KIA's and Jeeps.

As for the potential chain guide issue, those are there for another good 30-40k miles after you start hearing the real racket there - so you can procure replacement parts with prudent reserve
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back