polishing pad (hexpads) colors - fakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just bought myself a set of cheap hexpads, orange, black and blue.

But I'm suspecting they are fakes.

The blue is super soft and black is super hard/dense.

I understood the black should be super soft for adding waxes and glazes with no cutting characteristics!!

I purchased my Hex Logic Pads through Chemical Guy's on Amazon. All seem to be legit. I saw a deal on a set of "no name" hex pads that looked identical to the ones I bought but I passed it up because I was skeptical.

Hex Logic Pad Guide

Got them off ebay. They are cheap chinese knock offs for sure.

My question is about the black pads really. Is this meant to be a soft sponge? The blue one I have is very soft but the black is much harder which has gotten me confused as I thought the blacks were ultra soft for finishing?

The orange appears to be a medium firmness probably good for medium cutting.

On the sheet it came with:

T60 - blue (cutting)
T40 - orange (cutting)
T10 - black (polishing)

If the back is supposed to be very soft then I'll ask for a refund.

Last edited:
polishing pads should be softer than cutting pads.

Nowadays, everything on e-bay is a cheap chinese knockoff

Originally Posted By: MarcS
polishing pads should be softer than cutting pads.

Nowadays, everything on e-bay is a cheap chinese knockoff

That's what I thought. I'll be asking for a refund. otherwise using the black as a hard cutting pad and blue as polisher

Might go for the dodo juice pads. Black and orange or green.

Other option recommended by a friend in the trade are the meguiars microfibre cutting and finishing pads. Bit expensive in the UK.

Last edited:
Try Meguiars or 3M Buffing Pads, they cost more up front but last a long time and end up being cheaper. Bad pads and compound can make a real mess of your paint, then you can really pay some big $$ to fix it.

Very true.

Currently used Meguiars ultimate compaound and ultimate polish with excellent results - very easy and versatile to work with. Also Farecla G3 but this is old school and is harder to work with.

FWIW Harbor Freight sells a good 8" orange cutting pad. I have used it to buff a couple of cars and my brother's motorcycle. Works very well on my rotary buffer.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW Harbor Freight sells a good 8" orange cutting pad. I have used it to buff a couple of cars and my brother's motorcycle. Works very well on my rotary buffer.

Pretty sure those are made by S.M. Arnold, and yeah, they are pretty good for rotary pads.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Try Meguiars or 3M Buffing Pads, they cost more up front but last a long time and end up being cheaper. Bad pads and compound can make a real mess of your paint, then you can really pay some big $$ to fix it.

Got myself a pair of Meguiars microfibre cutting pads to try.

Originally Posted By: Brit33

Be careful with them, they cut QUICK.

Not the best on a rotary buffer, good for a DA. Good pads but as roofless posted be careful with them.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Be careful with them, they cut QUICK.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll take it easy on the first passes.
These were recommended by a friend who had a professional detailing company. He swears by them and uses them day in day out with Rupes DA's and Meguiars M100. He works on some really high end cars. Results are stunning!

They really turn the DA polisher into a decent performing unit, otherwise with normal foam pads they are poor performers and basically worthless for all but the most minor corrections unless you want to spend hours doing a job a rotary would do in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back