'06 Caravan 3.8L oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some work on an '06 Grand Caravan 3.8L, including an oil change, and am stumped by the oil level reading. Owner's manual and Amsoil's database say 5 qts. w/filter, but I drained out 3.5 qts (dipstick read over full) and after putting in 4 qts. it's reading at least 5/8" above the full mark - the OP (does his own OC's most of the time) confirmed it's way overfilled well before it takes 5 qts. Currently at 155K, the engine was replaced at 30K and the front end was damaged by hitting a deer (found a piece of the original dipstick in a cranny under the intake) since then so it's very likely the dipstick was replaced. The current dipstick measures 24 1/8" to the bottom of the plastic handle, 25 3/16" to where it seats on top of the tube. Looking up pics of replacement oil pans, it appears to have the correct one on it. Anyone have some insight or a dipstick length measurement from one that reads right to compare?

For curious parties, OC was about 6K on M1 HM 5w20 w/STP extended life filter. Oil was pretty dark but under the valve covers looked particularly clean.

If you know that it was completely drained and refilled with the proper quantity, just scribe a mark on your current dipstick to indicate the full mark and be done with it.

I have a 2009 3.8L in a Routan which was a rebranded Caravan. My dipstick is 25 1/8 inches to the bottom of the plastic handle and 26 1/8 inch to the collar. So I suspect you're running it low on oil if you believe your dipstick!

Fill with 5 quarts of oil and make a new mark on the dipstick. It'll be close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back