NYC BIKE NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now in NYC midtown and need help picking a bike.

My current fleet long term parked agm batteries, stabil in gas for a bit.

Looking for something that is smaller size for a tall rider over 6'

also considering theft in the city so want something that can come inside at night and not left outside too long.

No way my seven or salsa bikes are going to the city to be stripped or stolen.

I would like a brompton or bike friday left out for theft at around 1500$$ is not for me. I hate to have to walk around every grocery store crowded place with by bike lugging it around.

Thinking mini velo like http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=20f28586-7df4-414f-bba7-bc0ed5ae1cf9

what other options can you think of????

Where is it going, and how much riding?

I'm wondering if a cheapo BikesDirect might work. If it gets stolen... yeah it hurts, but less than a name brand. Alternatively a cheapo off CL. That would be, if you are "often" in bad areas. The more it gets parked in "nice" areas and less worries about theft, then the more nice of a bike.

buy something decent but not overly expensive. Paint it so it looks unique,flashy or even crummy. That would be easy to identify and my ward off thieves.

I saw primer brown and pink bike with gold wheels on a college campus, it was actually a cannondale. No one stole it.

Last edited:
Buy one from a local pawn shop, when it gets stolen, go back to the pawn shop and buy it again. You will get a great discount for being a repeat customer.

lol.gif

http://www.urb-e.com/

Folding electric scooter. Fold it up, put it in your shopping cart. Great for urban travel and getting around. Amazon sells them. 20 mile range. The URBE is made in the USA and super high quality. The Chinese ones will be cheaper but not as high quality.

Buy a cheap bike and lock it up. My wife grew up in Brooklyn and keeps a cheap bike in her parents basement when she visits to have something to ride the big apple.
She is an avid road biker but the bike in NY is a better one from Target with 700X wheels

I don't want to have a full size bike taking up space and staying inside. I was gonna store it in a truck of a car preferred or closet.

I would agree with the suggestions that whatever you get, make it look like a piece of junk. If it were me, I'd probably buy a 70s/80s steel road bike frame, give it a hideous paint job, and install a half-decent drivetrain so it would still be nice to ride.

I ride a Dahon folding bike every day in Manhattan. I went that route for a couple of reasons...
I live on Long Island and commute on the LIRR. During rush hour, ONLY folding bikes are allowed on the train. I ride from my house to the railroad and then from Penn Station to 58th street. I fold the bike up and bring it to my office. If I have plans with friends after work, I call the restaurant ahead and make sure they can put my folded up bike in a coat room or something. I don't leave it outside.
I'm 6'5", about 260 pounds. I started with a Dahon Vigor D9. It has 20" wheels, vee brakes and a 9 speed drivetrain. I'm really too big for the bike so I had to make some adjustments. After I wrecked the stock wheels, I laced up new ones using Velocity Cliffhanger rims, Sapim spokes and a Paul 74mm front hub. Rear hub is run of the mill 130mm so I used Bike Hub Store. I also swapped the [censored] stock crankset for a Shimano cross bike crank with a Wolftooth 50 tooth narrow wide ring. I also got a Cane Creek Thudbuster seatpost because A: it gave me a tiny bit more height and B: it protects the frame from my Clydeness. All in all, I probably have about 1400 bucks into the bike but I haven't ridden the subway in forever. Bike has definitely paid for itself.
I do cop out when it's raining or there's ice on the ground but more often than not, I'm on the bike.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I ride a Dahon folding bike every day in Manhattan. I went that route for a couple of reasons...
I live on Long Island and commute on the LIRR. During rush hour, ONLY folding bikes are allowed on the train. I ride from my house to the railroad and then from Penn Station to 58th street. I fold the bike up and bring it to my office. If I have plans with friends after work, I call the restaurant ahead and make sure they can put my folded up bike in a coat room or something. I don't leave it outside.
I'm 6'5", about 260 pounds. I started with a Dahon Vigor D9. It has 20" wheels, vee brakes and a 9 speed drivetrain. I'm really too big for the bike so I had to make some adjustments. After I wrecked the stock wheels, I laced up new ones using Velocity Cliffhanger rims, Sapim spokes and a Paul 74mm front hub. Rear hub is run of the mill 130mm so I used Bike Hub Store. I also swapped the [censored] stock crankset for a Shimano cross bike crank with a Wolftooth 50 tooth narrow wide ring. I also got a Cane Creek Thudbuster seatpost because A: it gave me a tiny bit more height and B: it protects the frame from my Clydeness. All in all, I probably have about 1400 bucks into the bike but I haven't ridden the subway in forever. Bike has definitely paid for itself.
I do cop out when it's raining or there's ice on the ground but more often than not, I'm on the bike.

I think that this is the answer. I am going to test ride a brompton this weekend at NYCe wheels in the city. I don't think leaving it outside is an option. Everywhere delivers anyway. I am going to have to start using the delivery services for grocery store or just use the car and go for a drive on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back