Pennzoil Synchromesh in a 2006 sportster primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure I would throw this at my oil nerd brothers. I don't like formula + and I don't like the gear oil choices. Looking at what the Pennzoil Synchromesh is comprised of and what it does; Compared to the f+ it looks way better. The gear oils contain too much [censored] that a modern sportster trans and primary doesn't need. No friction modifiers for one. Seems the Pennzoil Synchromesh would work great with the sportsters helical cut gears and the copper and bro0nze stuff should be safer. Any response will be given will be appreciated .

I never considered running motor oil in the primary. Many folks do. [censored], I know a dude that drains and dumps a quart of straight 30w in his sportster primary every 3000 miles and I believe he is well over a 100,000 on it. I believe you could pee in the hole and it would be fine, considering the known fact that I saw an o6 tranny go 1500 miles with about a couple ounces of F+ in it. ( Guy I know drained his to change fluid and forgot to refill. Clutch pack burnt up after 1500 miles... Replaced clutch pack, new fluid. F****er is still running. ) Was just wondering on the Pennzoil Synchromesh, if anyone knows of anything in it that could cause problems?
I always felt that the 85w90 was too thick for the helical cut gears. But aren't differential gears a helical cut too ?

would run a 20/50 wt in the heat of summer, or a 10/40 or 15/40 in colder months. Harley recommends using a 10/40 if riding with temps under 40f. I run Rotella 15/40 in my Road Kings primary year round. And I like the way it shifts. I've found 20/50 in the cold seems to cause some clutch plate drag, that causes that "Bang" into 1 st gear. Metric bikes run the same oil thru the motor and transmission and it holds up well, so it should work for your bike also.,,,

Yea, that is all good, but I was wondering what folks thought about Pennzoil Synchromesh in the primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back