2016 gmc sierra 5.3 L83 mobil 1 5w30 3700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are the first two uoas for my new truck. i went from a 1990 sierra to a 2016. i used the dexos 1 m1 5w30 and I think there was some 5w30 extended performance mixed in. still on the fence if im going to use 0w20. if it continues to thin out i will probably stick with 5w30. i use this truck for work and pleasure. i dont tow anything, just haul, and usually its just some tools and ladders. I will probably be driving around 20k a year. Next oil change will be at 10k.

uoa2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Your truck is still too new to tell if it will be a trend. Your next analysis should help.

i agree. so far seems to be going in the right direction.

The 5w-30 sheared down into 20 wt territory anyway. You're probably just as well off using the 0w20.

Congrats on the new truck.

That's a lot of oil changes in the first 10k miles.
crazy2.gif

The Camry had it's first oil change at 10k miles. After 5yrs/63k miles it still runs like a top. A uoa at 60k miles came back with excellent results. The wear metal readings were lower than the averages which were based on 6600 miles.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Honestly, I would use whatever is the recommended viscosity. If they said use 0w20, use it. These are new engines designed for 0w20.
+1 You say you're not towing or doing anything to get the oil very hot, so in MA I'd be using the 20 weight as recommended, at least in winter.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
crazy2.gif

The Camry had it's first oil change at 10k miles. After 5yrs/63k miles it still runs like a top. A uoa at 60k miles came back with excellent results. The wear metal readings were lower than the averages which were based on 6600 miles.

It's not like he can go back now and skip the oil changes. Do new trucks have a time machine option?

An extra oil change or two is likely good with a new engine to get any extra garbage metals out.
You can and should change it from now on using the OLM GM is known for. It works and calculates oil stress in total.

The oil did thin out more than I would have guessed, and with not much fuel dilution to blame there.
One other bitog user I answered recently thought a dealership had accidentally given him 5w20 instead of 5w30, based on a Blackstone UOA. Hopefully he used the additive element profile to make the call from the UOA and not just the KV100 viscosity values after a few miles. Shearing happens (new bumper sticker for bitog fans.)
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
crazy2.gif

I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10k first oil change. I'd rather be on the safe side. I will definitely be extending the intervals from here.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
An extra oil change or two is likely good with a new engine to get any extra garbage metals out.
You can and should change it from now on using the OLM GM is known for. It works and calculates oil stress in total.

The oil did thin out more than I would have guessed, and with not much fuel dilution to blame there.
One other bitog user I answered recently thought a dealership had accidentally given him 5w20 instead of 5w30, based on a Blackstone UOA. Hopefully he used the additive element profile to make the call from the UOA and not just the KV100 viscosity values after a few miles. Shearing happens (new bumper sticker for bitog fans.)
grin.gif

I plan to follow the olm from here out. If the 5w30 that's in there now thins to a 20 weight again I'll continue to use 5w30. Otherwise I'll take the plunge into the 20w world. I followed the olm on a new 2006 express with the 6.0 with conventional oil with no problems after a few quick changes in the beginning. The uoas are in the archives here somewhere.

I didn't reset the olm yet. I'm at 7100 miles and it's at 6%. Seems reasonable.

Why not use Mobil 1 EP 0W20? I saw a bulletin from GM that stated not to use anything thicker than the factory fill 0W20 in the new truck engines.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Why not use Mobil 1 EP 0W20? I saw a bulletin from GM that stated not to use anything thicker than the factory fill 0W20 in the new truck engines.

Totally agreed. And the GM OLM has been very reliable in trucks since around 2000 or so. V8 engines last seemingly forever. Just follow the OLM.

I have a L83 also and your engine is wearing normal compared to my numbers, high silicone and high copper, mine even had 3ppm lead. Nothing super concerning your always going to have higher iron ppm then most people around here having GM v8. Looks like my engine for most part nice.

My bad I was wrong with lead I could have sworn I did. Anyways here is mine. It currently has 12k on it 4 more to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back