Self-Driving Cars Will Make Organ Shortages Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MarcS
Alternately, you'll be puttering around in traffic while all the connected cars in the autonomous vehicle lane whiz by at 120mph while bumper to bumper. By the time autonomous vehicles are commonplace we'll be half way to growing new organs with stem cells. Embrace the future

120 mph? More like the same old 65-75 mph limits we currently have. Remember, speed kills and the government supports that notion. And doing 120 mph bumper to bumper won't be a very safe place to be when the lead car decides to have flat. Where do you go when its bumper to bumper? Or will we have tires made of "unobtanium" by then where there are no flats, no engines stalling, no computer break downs or shutdowns, no electromagnetic induced RF events, no misapplication of the brakes by the computer hackers getting access to our car computers? Will the computers ensure that the lead cars are always in top mechanical condition too? It will be fun though. I'll still be happy to putter around in "traffic" as I've done for the past 45 years...manually shifting when I want to. I live far enough from major cities that I'll never see this affect my driving. Our towns can't even afford regular road maintenance and public sewers, let alone automated roadways.

I don't see it being embraced by government. Since modern traffic enforcement is really revenue collection. What will all the local town halls do for money if the autonomous cars break no laws?

There would be budget panics, Most cities could not operate one month if no one broke any traffic laws.

It'll be years before autonomous cars have that kind of market share. Sorry, I just don't see this being a real issue for another decade.

The numbers don't make sense to me in that article. 123k are on the waiting list. 35k die per year due to auto accidents. "Currently, 1 in 5 organ donations comes from the victim of a vehicular accident."

Quote:

Roughly 6,500 Americans die waiting for an organ transplant each year, and another 4,000 are removed from the waiting list because they are deemed too sick for a transplant. Since 1999, the waiting list has nearly doubled from 65,313 to more than 123,000.

It’s morbid, but the truth is that due to limitations on who can contribute transplants, among the most reliable sources for healthy organs and tissues are the more than 35,000 people killed each year on American roads (a number that, after years of falling mortality rates, has recently been trending upward). Currently, 1 in 5 organ donations comes from the victim of a vehicular accident. That’s why departments of motor vehicles ask drivers whether they want to be donors.

Apparently only about 38% of drivers opt to be donors. link Apparently about 31k transplants are done yearly. link So, if auto accidents provide one in five, that leads to only about 6k of those 35k drivers (or passengers) providing organs. [BTW, that works out to 17.7% of those victims being donors, not quite the 38% rate that may have opted to be donors.]

Originally Posted By: Bud
I guess it's just something you younger folks will have to deal with. At my age if I wake up in the morning I feel pretty good about things.
Right on Bud. If I don't see by name in the obituaries it's a good day. The wheels may come off before bedtime, but for the moment, everything is holding together.

It's going to be a long time before self driving cars dominate the roadways. We'll see medical breakthroughs that help the situation first.

Autonomous cars are moving ahead much quicker than we can grow new organs in vitro.

Less traffic violations means less cops needed to patrol the streets means less salaries for law enforcement and associated courts.

Yup, another decade and autonomous cars will have made huge advances.

I cannot wait till it arrives as my requirement for vehicle ownership will easily drop to one vehicle (minivan) and then eventually none. I predict a market will fill in to rent a fun human driven car delivered to your door step for the fan boys for human driven cars.

It will slowly become less close parking and turn into better designed drop offs with walking to places longer in. No more clutters of cars in prime real estate....

Don't worry; artificial organs will be arriving in the market place just as the drieverless cars become popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back