New car battery recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Walmart MAXX is always a good battery and highly rated by Consumer Reports. Replacement is available 364 (not on Christmas) days a year across the country.

I would have the battery and charging system tested. A 2013 vehicle is pretty new to need a battery.

I've had good luck with JCIs, just put the felt washers under the clamps, grease on the clamps themselves, hose down everything with battery protector-they leak acid like a [CENSORED], EVERYWHERE!

Wal-Mart Everstart Maxx is Johnson Controls. I got the Maxx for my truck, had the same CCA as the optional stronger battery from the factory. The OEM GM battery was clearly a Johnson Controls, the Wal-Mart battery fit perfectly, exact duplicate. THey have always done pretty well in CR tests, plus, if you ever have a problem there are Wal-Marts all over the place to handle a warranty claim.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I've had good luck with JCIs, just put the felt washers under the clamps, grease on the clamps themselves, hose down everything with battery protector-they leak acid like a [CENSORED], EVERYWHERE!

Every JCI battery I've owned starts growing fuzz at the 3-4 year mark.

Don't underestimate Crown Batteries, they are good quality at a good price. But you can't buy them at a junky chain store. Most everyone on this site buys batteries from a chain store...Not sure why?? Must be price, and they dont' care if they buy Mexican built JCI built [censored]??

http://www.crownbattery.com/

Last edited:
Went and got a Super Start Extreme from O'Reilly. Got a military discount and 3 year warranty.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Don't underestimate Crown Batteries, they are good quality at a good price. But you can't buy them at a junky chain store. Most everyone on this site buys batteries from a chain store...Not sure why?? Must be price, and they dont' care if they buy Mexican built JCI built [censored]??

http://www.crownbattery.com/

Really a lousy website if you can't put in your zip to find a source for their product.

Costco used to have a really long warranty on their kirkland batteries i believe it was 100 months they don't have that anymore...Someone woke up, lol

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Went and got a Super Start Extreme from O'Reilly. Got a military discount and 3 year warranty.

That's my favorite but the price can't beat an AAP gold with same 3 year warranty. The JCI won't last as long but I almost always fail the test before the end of the 3 years so I get about 6+ years out of it

Originally Posted By: Donald
A 2013 vehicle is pretty new to need a battery.

Not in the south. His car could have been built in late 2012 making the battery at least 4 years old. In TX for example, we seldom get more than 3 years out of a battery.

Super Start Extreme equals East Penn made battery. Which is a great choice. JC makes good batteries for AAP. But for the same amount of money the East Penn is the way to go. If there's a $30-40 off a AAP Gold battery then it's a fine choice.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Donald
A 2013 vehicle is pretty new to need a battery.

Not in the south. His car could have been built in late 2012 making the battery at least 4 years old. In TX for example, we seldom get more than 3 years out of a battery.

Exactly. 4 years is a good life down here regardless of battery maker.
I recently replaced the battery in the Scion (vehicle made end of 2012). Just up and died one day, no warning at all. I have found for me that vehicles with smaller engines do that, they just give no warning. Larger engines tend to give some warning (slower cranking and such).

I got a AAP Gold battery to replace it. Why, with the 40% off code it was ~$100 and never really had any issues with them.

My truck battery is getting close to 4 years old, so I am expecting it to go soon also (a Duralast Gold from Auto Zone). I noticed the last time it got cold here it was cranking a little slower. I put it on a deep cycle charger overnight and it seems to have helped, but will see.
I am debated trying the $50 Walmart one when it does die just to see how it holds up.

If you are a AAA member, they have mobile battery service. They can check the battery, starting, charging, and key off drain. Their batteries have a 3 year free replacement/3 year reduce price warranty; which is NORTH AMERICA wide.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
If you are a AAA member, they have mobile battery service. They can check the battery, starting, charging, and key off drain. Their batteries have a 3 year free replacement/3 year reduce price warranty; which is NORTH AMERICA wide.

I'm sure there's a steep markup over retail (Walmart) prices for the same basic battery, right?

I would be interested in CROWN battery for my vehicle but, alas, unable to find a retailer and the warranty looks well, suspiciously like a no warranty. ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back