outboard two stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

npg

hi I run evenrude e.tec motors the oil is xd100 supplied by evinrude
I have another fully synthetic oil supplied by fuchs
I have had both annelyzed and the only difference is that the xd100 has a very high count of molybdenum the fuchs oil has a very low count.
would this make a difference

Originally Posted By: npg
I have had both annelyzed and the only difference is that the xd100 has a very high count of molybdenum the fuchs oil has a very low count.

Since oil is an engineered product. reading to much into one specific part of the additive package is foolish.
Both may be suitable but you dont list which fuchs oil.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Molybdenum reduces friction, so you should see less wear using the oil with higher moly.
The base oils have much to do with wear.

We need more information

It could be fuchs oil for a chainsaw and leave nasty deposits in a cool running outboard..

That is a very good brand of 2 cycle oil but is it the product that is recommended for your use.. we have no way of knowing with your lack of details.

If it is tc-w3 it should be fine.

I know this is a older thread but if your E-TEC has the EMM programmed for XD-100 Evinrude says you must use XD-100 or they will not cover oil related repairs. When the EMM is at this setting it reduces the amount of oil usage.

You can set the EMM on the TCW-3 setting and run any TCW-3 oil. Evinrude says for best protection run on the TCW-3 setting and use XD-100, they recommend it for commercial or racing applications. I run on the TCW-3 setting and use XD-100.

I bought the factory program and can change the settings at home with my laptop. I know the XD-100 is very good at carbon control with zero smoke. These engine are just too expensive to not just use what they recommend.

E-TEC is a wonderful and well thought-out technology; these engines are designed to consume very little oil, why cut corners? Feed it good oil and spare yourself some problems while also extending its life.

Originally Posted By: Mik
E-TEC is a wonderful and well thought-out technology; these engines are designed to consume very little oil, why cut corners? Feed it good oil and spare yourself some problems while also extending its life.

What's not to like about 500 hour service intervals!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Mik

What's not to like about 500 hour service intervals!
That is non commercial use? I over maintain, It is a bad habit for me.

Note that the Yamalube oil recommended by Yamaha for their 4 stroke outboards also has very high molybdenum content (776 ppm).

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4263873/VOA_Yamalube#Post4263873

Seems like the outboard manufacturers like their outboards to be run with a lot of moly. Anyway, I bite the bullet and buy the Yamalube oil for my Yamaha outboards.

Another good read about differences between marine and non-marine oils is at:

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/13471-synthetic-oil/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: claluja

Note that the Yamalube oil recommended by Yamaha for their 4 stroke outboards also has very high molybdenum content (776 ppm).

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4263873/VOA_Yamalube#Post4263873

Seems like the outboard manufacturers like their outboards to be run with a lot of moly.

I am guessing......that EMM "thing" is there only due to environmentally reasons......to thin down mixture more towards 1:100 ratio......

So we are talking about boundary lubrication here......and here moly plays its role....to boost lubrication....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back