new 2016 ram 1500 hemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only reason not to use it is your wallet won't thank you later.

Just boutique oil.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Its expensive for little or no gain.
If you're cool with that then go for it!

Agreed, these trucks aren't very hard oil. Just pick up something cheaper with the Chrysler MS-6395 spec and follow OLM for warranty purposes. Something like QSUD would be fine if you want synthetic.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
any reason not to use royal purple from wal-mart? tks all.

Reasons not to use Royal Purple? Sure, the biggest is that it's grossly overpriced and offers zero added benefit over other oils.

Most assume it costs more but don't know what you get it for.
Mainly use M1/PP - but I use RP HPM in boat - and watch year round for best price ... that switch from OEM 4M was one those "sounds better" moments for me ...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nope. Nothing wrong with it at all.

But many other oils will offer the same performance at far lower prices...

+1

Go for it. Get enough RP for 3 oil changes and try it out.

Who cares about it that it cost a bit more.

If can you do a UOA afterwards it, that will be really great.

RP is a lot of clever marketing. If it were me I'd use a full synthetic from Shell like Quaker State Ultimate Durability that meets the necessary oil spec for your engine.

As others have commented, the only reason not to use RP is cost.
This engine calls for a twenty grade, no?
Walmart clearanced this grade some time ago for cheap and has apparently brought it back. I've also seen some RP on clearance for two bucks a quart at some AZ locations.
My point is that if RP is an itch you'd like to scratch, you might at least wait for a decent deal on the stuff.
At regular RP prices, there are a host of arguably superior boutique oils to try, like Amsoil SSO or Red Line as well as a number of Euro and Japanese imported oils.

The RP rack went on a vacuum at AZ - managed to get a quart for the push mower ... (my arm was longer?)
But they left behind some other good stuff too ...

As long as you get 5w20 and it says Chrysler MS-6395 on the bottle then no there isn't any reason NOT to.

I was amazed to see this typically expensive oil at two bucks.
I should have bought all they had at the AZ where I saw it, but someone else apparently did so with a quickness.

Yeah, the regular Royal Purple was $9.99 so all those 6quarts were returned yesterday and the HMX Royal Purple was free since I have over $120~ rewards with Autozone reward card
smile.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I neglected thank all of you for answering. Thanks all.

Btw, I have been using pup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back