Valvoline NextGen 5w30 - 5,020 miles - 06 Scion tC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, overkill in the sense that doesn't revolve around money. However, it leaves you with more headroom for extreme service, whether you can use that higher quality or not in the lube itself isn't about money at all. They are all just different tools.

So, it's probably beyond what is needed from a pure baseline standpoint, but needs can be defined differently. Start throwing insurance in there, and Amsoil becomes more of the apt product.

I agree. At the time, i was really interested in Amsoil and that's why i was running it in all my cars. I used the OE as a baseline and then went to the SS Line in order to see how far i can go on the "good stuff".

I still use Amsoil exclusively in my transmissions (and many of the cars i service as well). It works perfectly, gives me smooth shifts @ all temps and longer service life, if needed, even though i still drain it when needed.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Oil filter:
TINY Mobil 1 (much smaller then the OEM filter)

Why did you go smaller? Is there some advantage to doing so?

No advantage that I can think of. Mobil 1 simply makes the oil filter with a smaller canister then OEM. It's rated for 15k so that's all I needed to know.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: Artem
Oil filter:
TINY Mobil 1 (much smaller then the OEM filter)

Why did you go smaller? Is there some advantage to doing so?

This thread is from 2012

Artem,

What ever happened to the TC? Did you ever try extended runs in the NextGen? Did consumption continue to improve or decline as the engine aged?

Sold the beater when we needed something bigger. The current Mazda 3 hatchback replaced it.

Consumption stayed the same. These motors just like oil.

A buddy of mine has an 07 Camry with the same 2.4L and his consumption got so bad that he took it to Toyota and after they did their little oil burning test, they offered to rebuild the engine under warranty (150k on the car) so he's waiting for the parts and will let me know how it goes. His started eating like a quart every 1,000 miles.

Yep, not much you can do about it, unless you rebuild it but that's obviously not worth the hassle.

Most people don't keep up with oil levels and I imagine that a lot of these engines are suffering as a result and we'll see a ton on them at junk yards as they start wearing out due to low oil levels. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back