Aftermarket car stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my car radio in my 2009 toyota matrix. This is my traveling car for work and I have some specific features I'm looking for and I hope you can help me out. I see a lot of cars now have andriod auto which allows GPS to come up on the display, this would be a huge advantage for my travels amongst it's other features. Do any aftermarket units have this capability? Below is a list of features I'm looking for, maybe one of you knows just what I need.

1. The ability to integrate my phone GPS to the display
2. Bluetooth for phone and music
3. Xm satellite radio, a absolute must since I travel. Can't live without it.
4. Hopefully the ability to integrate my steering wheel phone and audio controls

Thats what I'm looking for. I'm also a android user if that helps with figuring out what radio will be best for me. Hoping for a sub 400.00 price tag, probably let geeksquad at best buy do the install. I know this isnt the forum for this but i figured someone may be educated on the matter. Thanks.

Give Crutchfield Corporation 1 (888) 955-6000 a call. They are very knowledgeable and up to date with the latest audio systems for vehicles.

Years ago when I needed a new head unit for my car they were spot on with their recommendations, including the advice that the front speakers were the most important and which speakers were the best to use.

First decide whether you can use the SiriusXM app instead of an actual satellite radio. There are some advantages, like no signal disruptions in urban areas with many tall buildings and bridges, it does not require an external antenna, and monthly charges are lower. The current app will only integrate via bluetooth, not Carplay or Android Auto, so you may want to consider a head unit with SiriusXM radio integration if you dent to switch stations a lot. If you tend to listen to just few channels, the phone app is probably OK.

Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood (and a few others) all make android auto compatible head units. Some have an integrated DVD player. All support bluetooth. The main advantage is display of maps and compatible apps through your car display. Android auto locks your phone out, so you will not be able to access non AA compatible apps. If you don't want the screen integration, you can just use bluetooth or a USB plug for auto integration.

You might also be able to get a cheap DVD receiver and mirror your phone screen but it would require a physical connection.
Android Auto would be best if there aren't any non-AA compatible apps while driving.

ebay has a bunch of chinese entertainment centers that are computer based. I bet there are reviews in the right spot, too.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Give Crutchfield Corporation 1 (888) 955-6000 a call. They are very knowledgeable and up to date with the latest audio systems for vehicles.

I second this - Crutchfield is excellent!

Crutchfield is not the cheapest, but their customer and tech support is excellent. The website is also good.

They don't sell junk.

I would give that a shot.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
My recommendation is for a mechless unit (no CD player) and get Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.

+1 for mechless. I haven't even used the CD player once in my 2012 Mazda. Just wasted componentry today.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
My recommendation is for a mechless unit (no CD player) and get Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.

+1 for mechless. I haven't even used the CD player once in my 2012 Mazda. Just wasted componentry today.

It's not just that, it makes the unit way easier to install since it's potentially way smaller.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

It's not just that, it makes the unit way easier to install since it's potentially way smaller.

The mechless I put into my '99 Camry was like 3 inches deep. Single DIN going into a double DIN, so I got a new cubbyhole, too. I'm glad I went that way; it is easier to navigate through folders that I can read on the display, versus rifling through cd holders. Not saying that cds are going away any time soon, but they are an old technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back