1ZZFE burning oil on higher rpms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've noticed my 2000 Corolla with 442800 kms doesn't burn or use any oil if I'm careful to keep the rpms below 3500 but if I start playing with the upper end of the tach then my oil usage goes up quite noticeably. Is that normal? Anything I can look at to see if I can lower my high rpm oil usage?

Yes. Try some synthetic and a thicker grade for a while. Our 1ZZ has 1K on this OCI with the dipstick reading full still. That engine sees a majority of short trips in the city and some quick highway cruises.

I am assuming you have a 3sp Auto?

@ 3500RPM, my echo would be doing about 90mph.

Keep in mind if you rev to high rpm and then close the throttle, you will be pull some major vacuum which could suck in oil past any worn valve guides/seals

This was normal in the 1960s when 'the good ole days' weren't.

Last edited:
My IS used to push oil out of the PCV into the combustion chamber at high rpm, I could go through a qt of oil after an hour of "playful" driving. Quit doing that after the dealer took out the low-tension rings the car came with. So if your car is prone to blow-by like mine was, you could go through a bit of oil.

Owners manual on oil viscosity. mechanical engineers trump oil engineers.

if in doubt, call the dealership on revised oil viscosity. ;-)

You could try half a can of gumout multi engine treatment in the oil. do not over fill your oil.

It comes in a metal can that looks like seafoam and is stronger than seafoam.

When oil gets dirty. which will probably happen quickly. change it. say 500 miles or so...

All you can do is try to clean it up inside really.. rings, oil wipers and ring lands.

vacuum drops dramatically at any "even slightly higher" rpm's unless it's being pulled out "in front of" the intake...

and remember no oil is good beyond 5-8k because of acid build up.

I like castrol edge. try edge hm. It has alot of boron and will really clean your engine up.

Sounds like a good engine !! good luck, man.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jarad248

Tell that to all the 10K+ mile UOA's out there with TBN to spare...

Originally Posted By: Chewie

Ya, especially when the OM says "10K" OCI.

Originally Posted By: 55Test
So I've noticed my 2000 Corolla with 442800 kms doesn't burn or use any oil if I'm careful to keep the rpms below 3500 ?

So you howling on an engine with over 265K on it and wonder how you can control oil consumption at high RPM? Not trying to be funny or critical but the simple answer is to replace the engine with one with more life left in it or rebuild.

My 98 Chevy van with Vortec 350 engine, 150,000 miles on it does the opposite. Last summer when we took it to the beach (400 miles down there), I checked the oil and it didn't seem to drop any. Then I put around 200 miles on it in stop and go traffic and checked the level before we left. For some reason it dropped about half a quart. I topped it off and put another 400 miles on it coming home and it didn't drop any coming home.

It seems the constant stop and go traffic causes my van's engine to consume oil just like it does with gas! 16 mpg on the highway and 9 MPG around town.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

OH BOY!!! +1

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

OH BOY!!! +1

+ 2 !!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: 55Test
So I've noticed my 2000 Corolla with 442800 kms doesn't burn or use any oil if I'm careful to keep the rpms below 3500 ?

So you howling on an engine with over 265K on it and wonder how you can control oil consumption at high RPM? Not trying to be funny or critical but the simple answer is to replace the engine with one with more life left in it or rebuild.

Yup, redline every gear.. Nah j/k. I just find sometimes merging onto a busy highway i'll just leave it in third til I hit cruising speed then shift to 5th. 4th and 5th are pretty tall and kinda kill acceleration right when I need it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back