Decent dinner in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever eaten a meal that cost more than twenty bucks per person, if that. It's funny you guys are all for blowing cash on a meal, but heaven forbid someone pays more than Walmart prices for oil. Just an observation.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I don't think I've ever eaten a meal that cost more than twenty bucks per person, if that. It's funny you guys are all for blowing cash on a meal, but heaven forbid someone pays more than Walmart prices for oil. Just an observation.

You need to get out more. When I had an expense account, I used to run up bills over $100+ per person, manager didn't bat an eye. Of course sometimes that was me working on weekends for free because I was on salary, $100 plus was a good deal for the company. For regular dinners, it's easy to do $50+ and if you're going to some charity event dinner, it's easy for the ticket to be $100-$150.

Oh and the savings from Walmart is how you're able to afford those dinners...

I would rather see the employer take us to Denny's several times per year, versus a fancy place once a year.

I don't like being seated amongst a group that earns 2-3 times my salary. I prefer eating amongst those that earn a similar wage, like at Denny's.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I would rather see the employer take us to Denny's several times per year, versus a fancy place once a year.

I don't like being seated amongst a group that earns 2-3 times my salary. I prefer eating amongst those that earn a similar wage, like at Denny's.

That's odd. Why do you let income level matter as far as socializing ?

I can enjoy a meal with people whether the make more or less than i do, i don't really even think about that.

Why would making more income make them evil or unworthy of you sitting with them?

Would you want people that make less than you do to snub you?

Last edited:
On the less fancy side, i have been to Johns pizza on bleecker street. It was years ago, but really great pizza there.

Last edited:
So you like talking blue collar lingo with white collars and vice-versa?
Ok - that's you. But most folks would declare the same as me and call it an uncomfortable setting.

The best thing about those seven Denny's dinners is the boss is paying for it - but he won't show up and eat with us. Maybe once or twice.... but that's the max. Never-ever seven times.
Go count how many white collars are having dinner at a Denny's environment..... very few.

I prefer to go to dinner places where I belong. Not be someone else (or) listen to a employer lingo... ( a white collar type) for 90 minutes. I want to enjoy my meal, not choke on white collar lifestyle chatter or front office chatter.

Be my guest and enjoy that kind of two-way conversations. That's not my cup-of-tea and most Americans agree with me. Enjoy the fancier silverware at big-wig restaurants. Enjoy the fine linen napkin. Have fun and I'll stay home to await the cheap restaurant gathering with real-world folk like me..... including the waiter or waitress that's not dressed in a man's tie or ladies dress.

I'm not really into getting out. I like to mostly keep to myself and live in my own little world. I don't like the scary real world. I guess that's part of the reason I'm single, she'll want to go out and do stuff and I don't want to. Unless we're searching for vintage Kendall GT-1.

hahahaha..... my wife thinks I'm a hermit. I get three calls every two weeks on my cellphone. I don't have internet or texting even. I don;t even know the default password to my voicemail on my cellphone. There's messages in there I haven't read.

I tell everyone to just hang up if I don't answer.
I love my very limited life in a public eye. It's great. I spent forty years working with the public... being outside 5-6 hours per day. I don;t miss that stuff anymore. Even pass up free tickets to Detroit Tigers games at Comerica Park.

I'm not paying $7 for a beer or $3.50 for a bottle of water. I'm not paying $10-$15 to park downtown. No sirreeee!

Pay $500 for a meal?..... hahaha.... I won't pay over $25 per person and thankfully those special family dinners to celebrate birthdays are only 3-4 per year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I spent forty years working with the public...

That i can understand! Hey if you are ever in the Greensboro N.C. area, pm me, I'd try to meet you for dinner. Dennys or anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm not really into getting out. I like to mostly keep to myself and live in my own little world. I don't like the scary real world. I guess that's part of the reason I'm single, she'll want to go out and do stuff and I don't want to. Unless we're searching for vintage Kendall GT-1.

What if your boss invites you and your wife to company dinner ?

I don't think I've ever eaten a meal that cost more than twenty bucks per person, if that.

I don't think they have Golden Corrals in NYC.

OP said NY - unless I missed the statement about having a unique dinner anywhere in the US.

no. you cannot get steamed live fish and pair of lobsters for love or money in most
states. usually frozen lobster tails run $40+ most anywhere there's frozen deliveries.

on the west coast, most places stopped serving atlantic lobsters (waste too high) and Pacific
lobsters are way expensive and taste different.

So yes, you are correct - you can get Chinese food anywhere in the US but most of it is...

however if you know anywhere that serves the combo (outside NYC Chinatown), I'd love to
hear about it. I travel a LOT and I might be within a 4 hour drive and would be willing
to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back