24 hour dealership experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Hyundai

12/30 - Take my 2013 Santa Fe in for oil change and tire rotation. Super Tech 10w30.

Tech advises after service, "tsb for oil feed line" so we make appointment for this morning.

12/31 - Go to Walmart and purchase oil and filter for next change. After, go in to dealership for tsb work.

All done in one hour but i notice oil is not on the seat where i left it. Look at invoice and see oil change charge of $15. Yes, they used the Edge 0W40 and Fram XG9688 filter i was saving for next change.

They apologized and offered next two oci on the house with QSUD or pay for oil i bring in. Advisor was very nice and contrite. I just don't understand how they didn't notice i was just in the day before.

(I can no longer svc vehicle per HOA)

Did the HOA just now come up with this rule?

Sounds like the dealer made it right though which is nice. Not very many positive dealer experiences shared on this site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Sounds like the dealer made it right though which is nice. Not very many positive dealer experiences shared on this site.

No, this has been an HOA rule for some time now. I don't have a big issue with it. You are right, the dealership's response is appreciated.

Originally Posted By: wemay
....(I can no longer svc vehicle per HOA)

Are you saying you can no longer DIY your oil and filter change as per Hyun? 'IF SO' I'll be the first to say, that's a huge CROCK of _________ fill in the blank, imo.

And this story reminds me of the old idiom of what happens when one ASSUMEs something. Sounds like they tried to make it right. Be more much concerned about not being able to do my own service if that's what it means.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
....(I can no longer svc vehicle per HOA)

Are you saying you can no longer DIY your oil and filter change as per Hyun? 'IF SO' I'll be the first to say, that's a huge CROCK of _________ fill in the blank, imo.

And this story reminds me of the old idiom of what happens when one ASSUMEs something. Sounds like they tried to make it right. Be more much concerned about not being able to do my own service if that's what it means.

HOA= homeowners association.

Originally Posted By: volk06
..HOA= homeowners association.
Since it was tied to the dealership experience I thought it was Hyundai of America. Guess I was bitten by the old ASSUME idiom myself.
lol.gif
Glad I don't live under an HOA.

Why not just change the oil in the garage with the door closed? Thats what I do on our Pilot and Volt. HOA and neighbors never know.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

No, this has been an HOA rule for some time now. I don't have a big issue with it. You are right, the dealership's response is appreciated.

That's too bad. If you have a garage, can you at least do the work inside with the garage door down? Is car washing allowed at least?

There's a few additions in town that allow this sort of thing which IMO is nice. The only HOA rule I can think of that would be nice is the maximum grass length. I guess I understand the no working on the cars to an extent. A car on jack stands for weeks on end is a bit tacky.. It's those people that ruin it for everyone else.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Why not just change the oil in the garage with the door closed? Thats what I do on our Pilot and Volt. HOA and neighbors never know.

Beat me to it.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: volk06
..HOA= homeowners association.
Since it was tied to the dealership experience I thought it was Hyundai of America. Guess I was bitten by the old ASSUME idiom myself.
lol.gif
Glad I don't live under an HOA.

I was thinking the same thing,"Man Hyundai has gotten strict!!" Haha :p

No car company can tell its buyers that they cant do oil changes or any other service themselves... However if you mess it up it is not covered under the warranty.
Its against the Law and the company would have to pay for it.. The FTC is very strict about this stuff if there is any drama contact them they will straiten them out.

I remember a house in DFW we almost bought had an HOA which said any car maintenance had to be done in your own driveway and not on the street. I was definitely ok with that.

Good to see the dealership tried to make things right. My local Hyundai has a habit of doing work not authorized and it's led to varying degrees of unauthorized charges for unnecessary work to straight up theft.

I'd just do the maintenance myself and not worry about the rules. Closing the door or obstructing the view seem like easy solutions and a way better alternative than having someone else do it.

Hyundai

12/30 - Take my 2013 Santa Fe in for oil change and tire rotation. Super Tech 10w30.

Tech advises after service, "tsb for oil feed line" so we make appointment for this morning.

12/31 - Go to Walmart and purchase oil and filter for next change. After, go in to dealership for tsb work.

All done in one hour but i notice oil is not on the seat where i left it. Look at invoice and see oil change charge of $15. Yes, they used the Edge 0W40 and Fram XG9688 filter i was saving for next change.

They apologized and offered next two oci on the house with QSUD or pay for oil i bring in. Advisor was very nice and contrite. I just don't understand how they didn't notice i was just in the day before.

(I can no longer svc vehicle per HOA)

hindsight- hide the oil in a bag in the trunk

Tech probably thought, "Oh, here's that guy that brings his own oil for another oil change." Can't be many people that bring in their own oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember a house in DFW we almost bought had an HOA which said any car maintenance had to be done in your own driveway and not on the street. I was definitely ok with that.

I'd also be fine with that, but having no neighbors within a mile is heaven for me...

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Tech probably thought, "Oh, here's that guy that brings his own oil for another oil change." Can't be many people that bring in their own oil.

Anyone with a bit of smarts would put the 1 and 1 together. So the best thing to do is keep it hidden or don't bring it.

If you have a HOA that doesn't allow this and you don't have a garage with a door then this would call for NIGHT OPS! Rogue oil changes in the dark of night! Headlamps and box wrenches in hand we maintain our Hyundai under the cloak of darkness!

Originally Posted By: czbrian

What if they saw you drive the car up on Rhino ramps before you had a chance to close the door ?
eek.gif

No garage
frown.gif
. Yes, i should have just placed the oil and filter in the hatch since when i do come in for the oil changes, it's usually in the very same location as it was this time. I take responsibility for that. I let them know i wasn't bent out of shape over it.

Sorry for the confusion...HOA being Home Owners Association.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back