Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 - LLY Duramax - 9750 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil not changed. I think I am going to try for another 10K miles. Oil filter is a Royal Purple Synthetic media filter.

Last edited:
Good looking report for your Duramax. How long has the oil been in service time wise? How is the truck used? You're no where near the lube condemnation limit for iron and the TBN is still pretty darn strong. I'd estimate without knowing more about the application that an additional 7,500 miles should be safe and likely if the truck is used for the next 10,000 miles like it was for this 10k then you'll probably be alright with another 10k.

Any makeup oil added?

Hi Luke, The oil has been in service for one year and two months. During that time I added 1/2 of a quart of makeup oil. The truck is used in mixed service from being pressed into service as a commuter vehicle (both around town and highway) when my regular daily driver is in the shop, to hauling heavy loads of concrete roofing tile or whatever else I need to haul in it. I used to tow a 6000lb travel trailer around the country but haven't done that since this oil was installed. Actually I don't think I've done any towing on this oil. -Rod

Last edited:
The Duramax is known for shedding CU, its thought to be from the oil cooler and doesn't hurt a thing. Sample looks great, keep on trucking.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The Duramax is known for shedding CU, its thought to be from the oil cooler and doesn't hurt a thing. Sample looks great, keep on trucking.

Thanks! Some of them do and some of them don't. I was wondering if the ones that do shed Cu are the ones that have the tow package option. I think the tow package option is what gives you that Copper oil cooler.

There is no "tow package" with a Dmax truck, in terms of the engine and it's supporting equipment. You don't get a different oil cooler, etc. They are set up to tow from the factory.

The oil cooler is in the block right behind the oil filter mount. They use Cu in the construction. It's not uncommon to see Cu elevated when changing brands of oils, especially some brands of syns (I cannot explain the chemistry as to why it happens, but I accept that it does). As i understand it, the Cu will essentially oxidize (normalize) after a brand chemistry is established. Changing to another brand may or may not cause a reaction as it "normalizes" to the next chemistry package. This has been a noted phenomenon ever since the first LB7 Dmax came out.

Some of these images appear to show a sandwich plate design, and certainly appears to be Cu plated. However others look like aluminum. (ignore the obvious aftermarket type images).
see this:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dura...&ajaxhist=0

You're UOA is fine. Leave the oil in there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back