Ever get in a hurry to get somewhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole world goes into slow motion. Red lights seem to last for days. And at that moment, nobody else on the road is in a hurry; only you are. You're frantic, but everybody else on the road is laid back and not a care in the world.

When I return off the Interstate and have been blowing down the rode for several days and I get back to the sticks going 40 and 50 mph on secondary roads it freaks me out for awhile. You have been doing 80 mph for days and now 50 mph- drives me nuts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The whole world goes into slow motion. Red lights seem to last for days. And at that moment, nobody else on the road is in a hurry; only you are. You're frantic, but everybody else on the road is laid back and not a care in the world.

Time seems to go by much faster as I get older. Always made and make it a point to leave early. That's worked for me for seven decades. Maybe asked your doc for Valium Rx.We all think we know what time is, but time has never been fully explained and may never be understood. The Greek philosophers never were able to explain it. I believe "the fleeting now" is probably the closest they came to explaining time. You will be a the next Einstein if you come up with what time is. Happy New Year. Another orbit around the Sun. Regards

This phenomenon is real, Einstein proved it with his theory of relativity.
It is a basic concept of quantum physics, the speed of time is relative to how fast you need to be somewhere.
For example, it will take years for a space craft to reach Mars because there is no need to be in a hurry.
If it arrived early, all the federal money for NASA will be cut off, and many NASA employees will be out of a job.
That is why I always drive very slow in front of other drivers that are in a hurry.
I do not want them to lose their job, or be late for work if they have a job.

I have noticed that a lot of people don't actually know how to get somewhere in a hurry.

For some reason they think speeding from light to light makes a difference ... it doesn't if your average speed is lower than it should be.

Proper lane choice, knowing when to turn right on red (if allowed) or to wait at the light, choosing where to turn left, choosing a proper route, and actually looking where you are going, which is apparently a rare skill.

Why pull right behind a slow moving heavy vehicle you could see for the last three minutes if you would only look down the road instead of into the bumper of the vehicle directly in front?

Steady, methodical, and purposeful is the way to get somewhere quickly. Sure, a little extra speed sometimes helps, but why have your foot in it when you can clearly see there is a red light ahead? Coast and wait for the light to change. Not hitting the brake is just as important, probably more important, than hitting the expensive part of the speed limit just to get to nowhere first.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I have noticed that a lot of people don't actually know how to get somewhere in a hurry.

For some reason they think speeding from light to light makes a difference ... it doesn't if your average speed is lower than it should be.

Proper lane choice, knowing when to turn right on red (if allowed) or to wait at the light, choosing where to turn left, choosing a proper route, and actually looking where you are going, which is apparently a rare skill.

Why pull right behind a slow moving heavy vehicle you could see for the last three minutes if you would only look down the road instead of into the bumper of the vehicle directly in front?

Steady, methodical, and purposeful is the way to get somewhere quickly. Sure, a little extra speed sometimes helps, but why have your foot in it when you can clearly see there is a red light ahead? Coast and wait for the light to change. Not hitting the brake is just as important, probably more important, than hitting the expensive part of the speed limit just to get to nowhere first.

So true.

But, if the first guy at a light accellerates briskly more will follow and the guys five cars back will be entering the intersection at 25-30 MPH. It really gets more cars through per light cycle.

Get some dip playing on her phone who then creeps through when it turns green and you move half the traffic you could have.

Drivers that hurry between red lights are annoying. The same with drivers that hesitate when a light turns green. If they are in the middle of a stream of cars the gap causes the light to cut others off.

I understand the terror of being 1 minute late to where you're going and the fact that you might then be one minute late to everything else the rest of your life. Just don't dive into the off ramp from the fast lane in front of me when there's no one behind me. And don't tailgate at 70 mph when there's no place for me to go. If there was, I'd go there. And if you're going to drive slower that the flow of traffic on the freeway, stay in the slow lane unless of course you drive a jacked up pickup and you driver's license requires you to always be in the fast lane with your high beams on. Drivers on the highway are sometimes very rude when in pedestrian traffic they are polite.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

But, if the first guy at a light accellerates briskly more will follow and the guys five cars back will be entering the intersection at 25-30 MPH. It really gets more cars through per light cycle.

Get some dip playing on her phone who then creeps through when it turns green and you move half the traffic you could have.

Nothing worse than a light where everyone is nodding off and then only 3 people get through it. It's not that everyone needs to WOT through it, but there's no need for a 5 second delay before each person starts moving.

I only drove once in England but over there the lights would flash yellow before going to green. And as a result, *everyone* would be on the gas and moving when it was actually green. I try to spy the lights in the other direction when I can, so I can be on the gun and moving (watching for red light blowers, of course).

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Drivers on the highway are sometimes very rude when in pedestrian traffic they are polite.

I can see that. It's a frame of mind. In the city, and you expect to move slow. You accept that. On the highway though if you're not doing better than a mile a minute then it's not really a highway, eh? The whole point is to be moving, and quickly at that. Otherwise might as well have taken the slow way.

[I get your point, no need to be jerk just because traffic isn't going the way you want it. I'm just addressing how someone could do both things. Frame of mind.]

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Time seems to go by much faster as I get older. Always made and make it a point to leave early. That's worked for me for seven decades. Maybe asked your doc for Valium Rx.We all think we know what time is, but time has never been fully explained and may never be understood. The Greek philosophers never were able to explain it. I believe "the fleeting now" is probably the closest they came to explaining time. You will be a the next Einstein if you come up with what time is. Happy New Year. Another orbit around the Sun. Regards

At the end of 2011 PBS had a 4 part documentary hosted by Brian Greene called The Fabric of the Cosmos. One segment is called The Nature of Time. A very eye-opening and informative look at time, done in a way that the majority can comprehend. I highly recommend it.

A few years ago, I was in Vilnius, Lithuania.
The drivers there were fast, close as NASCAR on a re-start, and were more terrifying than a Houston freeway at 5 pm!
What was weird, no one honked, gave obscene hand gestures, no road rage, drove like all was normal!
Most cars were BMW, MB, Asian makes sold only in Europe, were very new and nice condition.
All the taxis were MB with manual transmissions, very rare to see auto transmissions.
The lights also had the yellow before green, very nice for a stop light re-start!

Some of these people don't know basic laws of physics, how distance and time are related.

Some how, I always see crazy/uber fast or ridiculous driver, standing right next to me at the traffic light. Did I say I drive like a grandpa by following the limit and making sure care is warm enough?
wink.gif

I can't agree enough....

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

Comments like that are so refreshing and brings faith in humanity, hence knowledge is power, I guess?

I always feel, why can't a crazy driver on the road get a speeding ticket or is being chased? Leaving early, maybe they don't know the meaning of it...

I'm usually a pretty quick driver and pass people, but I do it reasonably. I know my commute and when it makes sense to pass. Yesterday there was a guy flying inbetween cars, basically doing a slalom only to stop at every single light that I stopped at.

I can't stand when someone is going slow in the fast lane on the freeway. Move over.

I have to get to that Redlight As soon as possible, so I can check my text messages and instagram and Snapchat accounts, and respond accordingly, sharing my wit for others to acknowledge.

I continue to be obsessed with my phone until someone behind me honks their horn to let me know when the light has turned green. As a Thank you, I throw up a middle finger, and hopefully the light then turns yellow and I speed through it with chirping tires, while still looking at my phone.

For you see, the world, revolves around me. Whatevs and lol's

The guys who set the record for fastest coast to coast drive researched and planned for years before they made their run. Where they needed to act normal, where they could make up time, and what route would be the fastest, even if it was longer. Doing that on a smaller scale helps get places faster around one's area.

Resourcefully dealing with issues that arise, like a truck blocking a road or a differently scheduled train, has a lot to do with trip speed also. No point getting needlessly stuck. OTOH, sometimes waiting it out is the faster method. Having the judgment to make that call and re-evaluate as needed is important too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back