PYB, % Of Synthetic Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither JHZR2 nor BlueOvalFitter need someone to intervene, mediate, or speak for them. Moreover, JHZR2 is a moderator. They are both grown ups, so I'm sure they can handle their conversation just fine.

As far as the percentage of synthetic in Pennzoil Conventional goes, well Garak gave some very good responses to that question in my opinion, and there were some other very good responses as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Had you just answered my original Q? without having to know if my engine specs this oil, and just focused on the Q? itself, we wouldn't be this many pages of negativity answers. Just sayin'................

BOF, therein lies the problem...

Had I just answered your question... with what? a lie? Speculation? Rumors by which you can answer other rumors? A number i made up? Who on here do you think is going and running oils in analyticsl equipment to get you an objective value? Primary sources are key - we dont want to propagate rumors.

I truly hope you get a useful response from SOPUS. Im doubtful that you will; reread my past posts to explain why.

None of it was to get into an argument or a match of any sort with you specifically. Its the same question i generally ask when someone just has to know how much PAO there is in some synthetic oil because they just cant tolerate any fake group III...

Good luck finding an actual answer from a primary source, so were not answering rumor with rumor. Good luck!

I keep hearing rumors that PYB conventional oil contains "some" synthetic oil in it. If so, does anyone (GenaFishbeck?) know how much?

IMO you will never get an answer from anyone, oil companies are very secret about such things to the point of court cases and laws about what exactly constitutes a synthetic base stock and in the USA IIRC it was a FTC case not a legal one but they went tooth and nail over it.
No way in Hades are they going to give the percent if there is any at all and least of all to a consumer especially for a oil labeled as a non synthetic conventional but you can form a good guess. If it does not meet dexos 1 it probably doesn't have enough group III or IV to make a difference.

49.gif

He just asked a reasonable question.
I don't see why all the smart ss responses going BOF way.
I think some here got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Had you just answered my original Q? without having to know if my engine specs this oil, and just focused on the Q? itself, we wouldn't be this many pages of negativity answers. Just sayin'................

BOF, therein lies the problem...

Had I just answered your question... with what? a lie? Speculation? Rumors by which you can answer other rumors? A number i made up? Who on here do you think is going and running oils in analyticsl equipment to get you an objective value? Primary sources are key - we dont want to propagate rumors.

I truly hope you get a useful response from SOPUS. Im doubtful that you will; reread my past posts to explain why.

None of it was to get into an argument or a match of any sort with you specifically. Its the same question i generally ask when someone just has to know how much PAO there is in some synthetic oil because they just cant tolerate any fake group III...

Good luck finding an actual answer from a primary source, so were not answering rumor with rumor. Good luck!

Thank you sir! And, being I am a team player, I am not only doing it for my knowledge, I'm doing it for BITOG. In a way I think we are entitled to know what is in our oil that we pay for with our money. If it weren't for the consumer, oil companies wouldn't be making billions of $$$!

Ok BITOG members, I am not the best at writing a big corporate HQ a letter wanting to know a possible "secret ingredient," but, here it is;

To whom it may concern;

Hello to PENNZOIL. I am a member on an oil website forum board, BITOG. I am pretty sure that you are a sponsor there.
We have a lot of members on this site that spend a lot of their hard earned money on PENNZOIL products. A lot of the members like to use the PYB=Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional oil.
It has been a rumor for a long time that PYB contains "some" synthetic oil in it. I/we am/are very well aware that an oil company cannot give out its "secrets" or ingredients to its products, but, I/we would very much appreciate it if you were to confirm if your PYB conventional oil DOES or DOES NOT contain ANY synthetic oil AT ALL.

Thank You Very Much,
W. R. R.

BOF-the guys at PQIA have run VOAs on PYB 5W20 twice-the first one, done about 3 years ago, showed an almost unbelievably low NOACK value of 6.5%, lower than many other FULL Grp. III synthetics like Synpower & others, leading people to believe that PYB was getting a pretty good shot of GTL basestocks. Unfortunately, PQIA's more recent test showed NOACK numbers on PYB 5W20 more in line with a conventional, in the 10-12% range (as far as I can remember). Why the big concern? UOAs have shown that PYB, with it's high moly content, outperforms many synthetics in modular Ford engines-I would use it without any concerns for up to a 7500 mile OCI (or higher if the OLM permits it), in either 5W20 or 5W30 in LA, as long as the filter gets changed every time!
whistle.gif

Well I'm tired of you lately having something to say at all times with anything. If you have a problem with me.... Let me know. If I've done something wrong in the past.. let me know. Everything lately from you has been argumentative or negative in nature for some reason in regards to anything I put on here. Again, if you have a problem with me... Let me know. I am not afraid of saying that I am sorry if need be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
All right, all right... Settle down Blue. There's no need in bringing out names and such. I understand where you are coming from. You just have a curiously question about the Pennzoil conventional oil. Which I don't blame you for that. Heck, even Havoline conventional data sheet stated their "conventional oil" is a synthetic blend now. So, even I wonder how much there is in it too. I would like to know how much Pennzoil has in it as well.

I also understand where JHZR2 is coming from as well. If a product meets API SN, ILSAC GF-5, Ford MSC-WSS-946a then it meets a fair amount of specs. So, what does it mean or matter just how much synthetic is in it? I understand that rationale has well.

JHZR2's initial post here seemed a bit snarky in a way. But, that in all likelihood is not how he meant it either. It's just the way his mind works and conceptualizes a topic is different than yours. How we think and process things can cause difficulties at time because people see things from different perspectives. In this case you both are right in terms of your thinking. And neither of you are wrong in my opinion either. Again, I'd like to know how much synthetic is in Pennzoil and Havoline conventional oils as well. I bet it's between 10-30%. Enough to bring down volatility under 15% is probably what they are looking for in addition to keeping deposits down as well.

In the USA, all oils are Synthetic LOL LOL LOL LOL. Why even bother brand shopping?

slomo

Ok BITOG members, I am not the best at writing a big corporate HQ a letter wanting to know a possible "secret ingredient," but, here it is;

To whom it may concern;

Hello to PENNZOIL. I am a member on an oil website forum board, BITOG. I am pretty sure that you are a sponsor there.
We have a lot of members on this site that spend a lot of their hard earned money on PENNZOIL products. A lot of the members like to use the PYB=Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional oil.
It has been a rumor for a long time that PYB contains "some" synthetic oil in it. I/we am/are very well aware that an oil company cannot give out its "secrets" or ingredients to its products, but, I/we would very much appreciate it if you were to confirm if your PYB conventional oil DOES or DOES NOT contain ANY synthetic oil AT ALL.

Thank You Very Much,
W. R. R.

That's fair, I am curious if they will even give you a yes/no answer instead of the play book "we don't divulge proprietary information about or formulas".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back