2002 Tundra 4.7 oil choice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother picked up a 2002 Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 V8 today. Has 199K miles and seems to be running well. We are out of state currently but next weekend plan on changing the oil. I am thinking Mobil 1 0w40 for its cleaning properties as well as a little extra weight. This would be paired with a Fram Ultra which would be used for 2 oci's. What do you all think? Looking for something good at cleaning (no indication of sludge) just has 199K and no maintenance records, and just an overall stout oil.

What's recommended in these 5w-30 or a 0/5w-20 grade? Those seem to be what is typically used. I'd probably go with the recommended grade for the first OCI and adjust from there if needed. Though in Florida a stouter recommended grade won't hurt.

It calls for 5w20 or 5w30. As we all know, 0w20 can be used in place of 5w20.

So if you want to go a little thicker, I'd use a 5w30.

rutqwj.jpg

Sounds like you have 2UZ-FE. That engine in Landcruisers calls for 5W-40 syn and 20W-50 conventional outside USA. Although, quite a few variables may differ from your vehicle, e.g. tune for one.

Nobody yet ever posted what Mr Sheppard ran in his 2007 Tundra for over a million miles, but it looks like it was all dealer maintenance. If so, he ran a TGMO or an equivalent oil.
So, one can assume that in his case of highway mile hot shotting 5W-30 worked just fine. I ran and keep running M1 0W-40 in my Cruisers, although I am not telling anybody what they should run..

Here is a teaser on the million mile Tundra

I'm at 160K with my 2003 V8 4Runner running 0w-30 synthetic and have an oil sample ready to go. It's been some hard use in the desert towing and dirt roads. The sample goes in this week.

Mobil 1 0w40 is a solid choice, don't change that. But at first oil change (or even first two oil changes) I would probably change the Fram Ultra (XG3600?) with the oil, unless you know the maintenance history on the vehicle. And from there on two OCIs per filter change sounds pretty good. Just my .02 cents, if I didn't know the history of the new-to-me vehicle with nearly 200k miles on it. My friend has 4 of these Tundras in his stable, and all seem to be very happy with 5k OCIs. After 5k there seems to be more valvetrain noise than usual. He runs Mobil 1 5w30 EP in all of them though.

With that nearly-bombproof engine any 5w30 syn or dino that meets API SN and a Toyota filter for about 7.5k and motor happily.

I've been using my stash of M1 for years in the one in my sig, 7.5k and OE filter. Inly reason it's had such a steady diet of M1 is because I loafed up when Costco had a sale. This was my last OCI on that stuff so I'll hit Wally World and grab something on sale, these engines are extremely easy on oil and very rarely burn.

A Toyota tech told me something interesting about my 4Runner V8 engine (2UZ-FE). It has mechanical lifters. He has checked valve clearances and since this engine was introduced he has never found one that need to have the clearances corrected even at mileages about 200K. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back