CVT, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be the engines mated to the cvt but I have always thought they feel underpowered when I rent a vehicle that has one. I do like the dual clutch transmissions pretty well though.

I don't care for the way they drive at all, although more recent examples seem better than the first specimens I drove. I assume car makers keep trying to get us to like them because they are cheaper to install, because I sure can't think of any other reason.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I don't care for the way they drive at all, although more recent examples seem better than the first specimens I drove. I assume car makers keep trying to get us to like them because they are cheaper to install, because I sure can't think of any other reason.

I don't know that they're cheaper, but the real reason is fuel economy.

I did a lot of research on the CVT before I purchased my Altima. I traded a Camry for the Altima because the Camry was killing my back. Nissan has seats that really support my back better than any other mid size car that I tested.
Looking at Carcompaints.com and other sources, I saw that the 2013 and 2014 Altima owner's had terrible luck with their transmissions. I also found out that by 2016 Nissan had made improvements to the hardware and software of the CVTs. I am hoping that the improvements are enough.
As for driving with the CVT, it is different and takes a little getting use to. I have a V6 so power is not an issue with my car. I actually enjoy driving with the CVT now.
Nissan is not going with the CVT just because it is cheaper. It has more to do with the governments gas mileage requirements (CAFE).

My Maxima is fine with CVT because the V6 has so much torque. There is a member at a Nissan Max sub-forum with a 2009 (same 7th generation as mine) with over 300k miles on his Maxima; original drivetrain, but he's done the NS2 fluid at 70k mile intervals IIRC.

Let's all cheer for the 10(plus) speed transmissions. Those things will be shifting all the time. CVTs will look pretty good then.

Personally, I love the CVT in my Outback.

Who doesn't love the idea of no jerky shift points? I am so disappointed that Subaru caved to the whiners and put artificial shift points in the CVT on the latest models. This is going to be a real issue for me if I shop for a Subaru in a couple years.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Who doesn't love the idea of no jerky shift points? I am so disappointed that Subaru caved to the whiners and put artificial shift points in the CVT on the latest models. This is going to be a real issue for me if I shop for a Subaru in a couple years.

I have a CVT in my wife's 2012 Subaru Legacy. I will admit it was our first CVT and took some getting use to. But we really like it now.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Let's all cheer for the 10(plus) speed transmissions. Those things will be shifting all the time. CVTs will look pretty good then.

I actually don't mind having more gears especially in a truck. Smart transmission programming and adaptiveness logic puts the transmission in the right gear where the engine makes the most power.

I drive two early 2000's four-speed AT trucks. One is geared short with makes it feel like it needs a fifth gear on the freeway but has awesome acceleration with its loose torque converter. One is geared tall which feels sluggish on acceleration with it's tight converter unless you give it the beans and RPM cruises low on the freeway.

Unless through some magic and extensive research they can put a CVT in a twin-turbo V-6 truck that's gonna be heavily modified and not break...

Last edited:
That's funny CKN. And I agree with your sentiment. I have 167k on my Nissan Altima 3.5 with the original CVT fluid in it. Runs really good, power that is pretty decent 0-60 less than 6 seconds.

This ^

Love mine. Just wish i could turn off the artificial shift points.

I have a 2014 Subie outback 2.5 engine with a CVT. You hit the gas pedal, the engine revs up and stays there applying the power to successive gear ratios as she gets quickly up to cruising speed. Sounds and behaves differently than a MT or a traditional AT, but it does the job with quicker acceleration and a tad more efficiently.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I have a 2014 Subie outback 2.5 engine with a CVT. You hit the gas pedal, the engine revs up and stays there applying the power to successive gear ratios as she gets quickly up to cruising speed. Sounds and behaves differently than a MT or a traditional AT, but it does the job with quicker acceleration and a tad more efficiently.

Agreed.

Same here if I'm around 3/4 throttle, no artificial shifting feel until cruising speed, the rpm's drop.

Around 1/2 throttle, artificial shifts (6).

Must be on 2017+? My 2016 Forester doesn't have fake shift points thankfully. I'm a second time Subaru CVT owner and absolutely love them. First was a 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT.

Do they seem odd at first for a car guy? Absolutely. You rarely here of complaints from long term owners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
NEVER

Since this site is where old cars come to die......I don't doubt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back