MMO VS. Lucas Fuel System Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that both products offer the same upper cylinder lubrication benefit, but which one is better and why?

Tons of things have been written on this subject in the fuel additive section. I've tried both and like MMO better, but then again some consider me the resident MMO shill :) LOL.

I suggest you try both and decide for yourself, after reading through the fuel additive section first.

Just be careful you dont over do it, you might mess up your plugs or injectors. I used a certain product too much and too frequent then 3 of my coilpacks failed. Stay away from Seafoam as well! Leave that for the engine cleaning.

I would suggest using only premium and not your average joe schmo corner gas bar to fuel up, but who am i lol.
I use only Shell V-power 91 or if emergency i use Sunoco 94. This to me is quality gas.

I run several gallons a year in my dodge. I just changed plugs at 75k and they were fine as the poreclon was still white, but the gaps had opened up to far, but besides that all is well. It does give me about one more mile to the gallon, I buy it in gallon jugs, works out to 10 cents an ounce at wally world. I cut the mix now to 10 oz to 35 gallons and all is ok.YOU will find that that is not the norm as the usuall mix is 4 oz to 10 gallons.

I have used both and had no luck with the Lucas. The MMO does seem to boost gas milelage and smoothness. My friend who has a diesel, claims Lucas gave him the advantage and he has gained significant fuel mileage, he said he also has good luck with Lucas in his gas engines. I guess try them both and see your results. It seems like a hit or miss.

I ran a bottle of Lucas 4 years ago when I first got my truck. Truck ran pretty badly on the Lucas.

I use MMO in every fuel fill and part of the time in my oil. My engine runs quiet and very smooth, I get a small but noticeable power gain and I get about 1 to 2 more MPG with MMO than without. I also found MMO works better for me when I use good brand name gas. I used MMO on discount warehouse store gas, and did not see the better results that I had when I used name brand gas. My truck runs best on Chevron or Texaco. If they are not available I use Sunoco or Shell.

if you try MMO, give it 3 or 4 tanks to provide noticeable improvements. You may also need to experiment with the dose in the fuel. MMO recommends 4 ounces to 10 gallons of gas. For me, 2 to 2.5 ounces works best. 4 ounces actually hurt my gas mileage a bit.

YMMV. I personally don't care much for Lucas, but MMO is a great product.

I tried a LOT of Lucas [it looked good on paper].
The cars had zero improvement in fuel economy, smoothness, or power. It showed no cleanness in the CCs. It is basically motor oil.
Never again!

MMO is a good lube, OK cleaner, and can help seal rings and valves when running. Also, it is much cheaper than the Lucas.
I also like the TCW3 2 stroke oil - no cleaning but smooth and powerful.

Johnny, I find it interesting that you recommend a lower dosage of MMO and experienced a drop in MPG with the actual recommended amount. The reason I say this is because I used MMO once in my van a couple of months ago and used the recommended amount and experienced a drop in MPG. That was the first time I used it in the van and the last time.

My brother swears by Lucas. He has tried MMO but still prefers the Lucas products. I have never used any Lucas products and so cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I ran a bottle of Lucas 4 years ago when I first got my truck. Truck ran pretty badly on the Lucas.

I use MMO in every fuel fill and part of the time in my oil. My engine runs quiet and very smooth, I get a small but noticeable power gain and I get about 1 to 2 more MPG with MMO than without. I also found MMO works better for me when I use good brand name gas. I used MMO on discount warehouse store gas, and did not see the better results that I had when I used name brand gas. My truck runs best on Chevron or Texaco. If they are not available I use Sunoco or Shell.

if you try MMO, give it 3 or 4 tanks to provide noticeable improvements. You may also need to experiment with the dose in the fuel. MMO recommends 4 ounces to 10 gallons of gas. For me, 2 to 2.5 ounces works best. 4 ounces actually hurt my gas mileage a bit.

YMMV. I personally don't care much for Lucas, but MMO is a great product.

literally what he just said!!!

Just read a testimony on the MMO mechanic webbsite, it was an 56 Olds, with over 345k miles that had a MMO oiler on it and never a problem, the Olds engineers at the time inspected the engine to see if it was truethat the engine lasted that long, makes using MMO a must to me.

Last edited:
I have two of those Inverse Oilers. I didn't realize 20+ years later how much they'd be worth. I should have bought more of them!

MMO has no PEA. MMO sells another product to clean combustion chambers but it doesn't have the wide distribution that MMO has so you'll likely be buying your combustion chamber cleaner from another company.

Marvel Complete Fuel System Treatment 6 fluid ounces MM02

As for buying inverse oilers to sell for a profit, better check the inflation calculator to see if it's a good deal. A $40 inverse oiler in 2005 had better cost less than $4.94 in 1950 or it was a bad investment. Don't forget the time value of money and how many worthless collectibles you had to buy to stumble on a few valuable ones.

Originally Posted By: pcowner1
so Seafoam in oil not gas?

I'd sooner add Seafoam to gas than oil.

I put a home made "seafoam" pale oil + IPA + nafta (lighter fluid) (a thrird of each) in the sump and got scared with the quantity of tiny carbon that dislodged from the valve covers and felt to the visible head drain pipe. The filter should be filled with carbon specs by now.

Last edited:
Standard MMO ratio (4oz. to 10 gallons of gas) comes out to 320:1 ratio. I like it better cut in half at 640:1 ratio as my gas mileage doesn't take such a hit and engine still sounds smooth (older port injector Hyundai engines - no plans to try on Hyundai GDI engine) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back