Scooters....actually fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an older street cycle rider of years past, my natural inclination was to chuckle at scooter folks. I often thought they were either "wimpy" types....mostly females....or just plain strange.

Well...guess what? Due to shifting (constant clutch/brake usage issues with carpel tunnel), and a bad back, I decided to try one out. I missed riding on back roads and slower speed streets. I ended up getting a tiny 49cc Yamaha Vino. It's been a blast riding around the neighborhood! With a lot of 35mph streets near me as well as farm roads...I'll enjoy having this scooter when the mood strikes me. There are also some large areas of the city north of me (Seattle) that has some very popular scooter rides in interesting areas I've never really been. I'm looking forward to spring.

But, I've also decided that since it is so easy on my body to ride (and fun), to get another larger displacement model for some commuting and highway rides. I've already been through motorcycles from 400cc through 1800cc's and discovered that bigger isn't always better. So far I've decided upon the Honda Forza 300. It is right in the middle of scooter sizes and will do everything I would want it to do. I like the Honda PCX150, but consider it a bit too small for the occasional interstate ride. The Suzuki Burgman 200 is okay....but the Burgman 400 is a bit too bulky for me. Yamaha makes an Smax that is nice, but not as attractive as the Forza in my opinion. So....it will be the Honda Forza. I've got my eye on one for a very good price.

Anyway....just thought I'd share.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The Forza looks great. I like that it has a full instrument cluster. Post some pics when you get it. I miss riding.

Yes, I will. I think it's one of the best looking scoots of the plus 200-500 range. Above that the BMW's are nice but WAY above the size and cost I want.

I regularly ride with several guys who have gone from big Harleys and Goldwings, to scooters because of the ease of riding these light weights. Two of the guys are in their early 80's and still riding. 2 ride the 400 Burgmans and 2 ride the 650 Burgmans. And they have put a ton of trouble free miles on them.

I wasn't aware BMW made a scoot. I have a Yamaha Majesty that's in need of a motor rebuild as an overnight stay at a friends horse barn resulted in the airbox getting a mouse nest and sucked the oil out on the freeway. Fresh oil and check the day before:( The 400 single has no issue on the freeway but the belt drive sucks country road dust big time so found the Madass for beating down the slower country roads with a chain drive.
The little Vino seems to be a under rated bike around here and they are pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: Trav
They are like fat women, they may be fun to play with but you wouldn't want your friends see you doing it.
01.gif

I own a Honda CTX700N. Very easy bike to ride. Mine is manual but it also comes with a DCT that seems pretty popular with riders with physical limitations.

I have both a motorcycle and a scooter...they are both fun in their own ways. I still prefer the scoot for beer runs as I can store beer under the seat as well as in the top box! No storage on the motorcycle.

It's hard to argue with the practicality of a good scoot. When I visit Asia and see all their 125/150cc sized scooters with a family of 4 on it and a seat full of groceries, I get a little jealous compared to my SV650 (until you want to get on the highway). I think the Forza and other 250cc+ scoots are a great sweet spot of practicality and speed.

Like the CTX700N mentioned above, if it's purely sue to physical limitations keeping you from a more traditional bike, there are other Hondas that I can think of with the DCT, like the VFR1200 and the Africa Twin.

Man, you're making me want a scooter!!

You could also look at a Kymco downtown or a people GTI. Both have a 299cc engine hat makes more power than the honda and they weigh less. Kymco is a very respected brand out of Tiawan and even has a better warranty than honda (2 years i believe).

I've got three friends who ride Burgman 650's. One commutes 80 miles daily (he has at least 50k on his) and the other two take very long trips. (3000-5000 miles) they all love them. lots of storage space. they are trying to convince me to pick one up.

Originally Posted By: Trav
They are like fat women, they may be fun to play with but you wouldn't want your friends see you doing it.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I wasn't aware BMW made a scoot. I have a Yamaha Majesty that's in need of a motor rebuild as an overnight stay at a friends horse barn resulted in the airbox getting a mouse nest and sucked the oil out on the freeway. Fresh oil and check the day before:( The 400 single has no issue on the freeway but the belt drive sucks country road dust big time so found the Madass for beating down the slower country roads with a chain drive.
The little Vino seems to be a under rated bike around here and they are pretty cheap.

BMW makes TWO scooters: the C650GT and the C600 Sport. Note that the engines in both are built by Kymco.

I had no idea curb weight on scooters could be over 600lbs! Per the Suzuki website, the Burgman 650 weighs in at 618lbs. WOW.

I don't know why riders look down their nose at scooters. I've got a Piaggio Zip 50 2T to get to work and back, but wouldn't want to put in a 7 hr ride like I did on the Airhead today.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: bioburner

BMW makes TWO scooters: the C650GT and the C600 Sport. Note that the engines in both are built by Kymco.

The C1 was a Rotax powered scooter BMW had, for that money you could own a real bike. They don't make a full face helmet with a dark enough visor I would trust not to be identified riding this contraption.

Well I purchased and brought home my new Honda Forza late yesterday! I ended up getting one without the ABS for an even lower price that I thought the dealer would go. It's a brand new 2015. In the U.S. apparently red is the only color available....and although I may have preferred a different color, it looks great. I ordered a taller Honda windscreen for it.

I picked it up in the back of my Ridgeline and gave it a quick ride after returning home. Talk about COMFORTABLE! Really smooth ride. It's just surprising how easy scooters are to ride. I enjoy the variable positions the long foot boards allow as well as not a second thought about shifts. Now I've ridden just about every size/type motorcycle out there....but from this point forward, it will only be scooters for me (can't believe I'm saying this). The Forza seems to have plenty of power for my needs, although we'll see in the future. I really enjoy the quietness of the ride as well. I can hear birds and similar noises with any difficulty. I like that...rather tired of the noise of a regular bike...especially V-Twins.

Anyway, I'l post some pics very soon.

Congrats on the new Forza, you're gonna love it!! One of the moderators on a Kymco forum I frequent also rides a Forza..great bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back