First oil change, 2015 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after 11 months, and 10,000km I finally got to my first oil change. Read lots about how mess it can be changing the filter because of placement, but with my skinny funnel up through the skid plate, and up against the built in trough, it was spot less, never had a cleaner oil change. 7.5 liters of VWB and a Napa gold filter and we were back in business.

Now back to that filter. Every other new vehicle I've ever had it seemed like the hulk had tightened it on there, so I was expecting the same. When I crawled under, I noticed the trough was damp and the filter was all damp with a drip under it. Put my hand on it, and with less effort than tearing a sheet of paper, it spun free. Don't know how it never came off, especially with the towing and off reading I've done. Think I got pretty lucky. I'd checked the oil a few times, never once thought to get down there and check the filter tightness.

This is the reason why I do my own oil changes, regardless of the stuff they tell you about warranty and blah blah blah. My wife works for Ford and they tried to push that on me. When I told here my reasons for doing it myself, the sales guy said "hey, it's my job to push this stuff". Tried to get me to sign up to a $50/month maintenance plan. Oil changes and wipers basically, said I couldn't do it cheaper anywhere else. Told him I scored 14 jugs of VWB for a $1 a jug, unless you can beat that you're wasting your breath

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Cool story. I think you meant 5.7 litres of Valvoline. I love my Ecoboost.

He's right...the 5.0 takes 7.7 quarts / 7.3L in an oil change.

So...leeaspell, I like the trick of putting your funnel up against the trough. I take it that is the one on the forward side? I also get a drip on the rear, my square oil pan just catches both if I align it right. I'll have to adopt your method next time.

Funny about the filter, every new vehicle I've ever changed is the same as your experience - tightened by gorillas. Good thing it didn't come off!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Cool story. I think you meant 5.7 litres of Valvoline. I love my Ecoboost.

He's right...the 5.0 takes 7.7 quarts / 7.3L in an oil change.

So...leeaspell, I like the trick of putting your funnel up against the trough. I take it that is the one on the forward side? I also get a drip on the rear, my square oil pan just catches both if I align it right. I'll have to adopt your method next time.

Funny about the filter, every new vehicle I've ever changed is the same as your experience - tightened by gorillas. Good thing it didn't come off!!
Nope, on ramps on the back side. There's about a 2x2 square cut in the skid plate for it to drain, fits my funnel perfect. Drains like a champ

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I assumed we were talking about the 3.5 Ecoboost because I hear about nightmare oil filter removal on that engine regularly.

Seems oil drains haphazardly from the front on mine. I have a big oil pan that covers the whole area and usually let it drain for 30+ minutes so maybe I haven't paid close enough attention. Maybe they have improved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back