Michelin defender issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
These tires have about 35k on them. Tire pressure always maintained, car has TPS. Wear has been even across the tire. This is on the hyundai in my sig.

Only on the front tires. Tires have been rotated every 5-7k or so installed in 2014. Front end was aligned when tires were installed and all 4 are wearing evenly.

Chunks missing, edges feathered. Last pics were made with a flashlight to highlight the issue.

The tire shop states they look like the harder high mileage tire is not good on gravel. I do have a 1/4 mile( one way) of driveway.
Its the only vehicle that has this tire issue.

rear tires are fine.

Don't let the tire shop bully you into it being your driveway's fault.

I read somewhere that non-paved surfaces were accounted for by tire manufacturers in warranty design. I'd like to say 4% of miles travelled but have nothing to back that up.

It looks like you're nearly to the wear bars, but you should contact Michelin, include these photos, and post their response.

What is the warranty on these? Are you not rotating them in the proper forward-cross pattern?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It looks like you're nearly to the wear bars, but you should contact Michelin, include these photos, and post their response.

What is the warranty on these? Are you not rotating them in the proper forward-cross pattern?

I rotated them just like your figure 1. I have since the tires were installed.

This is the first car i've rotated like that. In the past i've always done front to rear, same side. I thinking i should not have crossed them at all.

Just to clarify, the issue is on the inside and outside edge of each front tire.

Last edited:
No idea why it is only the front...

Looks like the companies Contis that I drive around on gravel.

Last edited:
I see two issues besides the chunking:

1. Hard/dry/cracked tires.
2. Worn outer tread.

I'm thinking too much toe-in and/or camber in the front, combined with hard/dry tires, makes for a quickly worn outer tread.

The chunking is a natural result of hard/dry/cracked tires.

I should add that this car wore out the oe tires at 28k,( i think they were contipro lrr) wear was even across all four. This set has about 35k on them and i don't see them lasting past 50k.

What would cause a car to eat tires evenly ? The alignment checks out, my wife does not drive it hard at all. Tires have never been underinflated, always 32-35 psi.

Probably front end problems that developed during this last rotation period, therefore only affecting these tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Probably front end problems that developed during this last rotation period, therefore only affecting these tires.

I agree. If you are rotating properly but it's just the front tires, there's a front end problem.

What are your rotation intervals? If its the tires fault they should all 4 have developed it while being rotated.

That being said if they ware worn "evenly" or close they should be able to warranty those out.
To me and I'm not a tire damage expert:
Those look like someone was driving aggressively on gravel.. do you always ride with the wife?

If you took those to Discount tire they would have no issues warrantying them.

I suspect that since the last rotation the tires have aged to the point where they are now susceptible to damage from the gravel driveway. The proof would be to see if the next rotation results in the former rear and undamaged tires becoming damaged.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't look like the tires are going to last until the end of summer anyway.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Yup, +1 to this.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I suspect that since the last rotation the tires have aged to the point where they are now susceptible to damage from the gravel driveway. The proof would be to see if the next rotation results in the former rear and undamaged tires becoming damaged.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't look like the tires are going to last until the end of summer anyway.

Thanks, the rubber looks aged as well. The date code is 4913, so they were aged before i bought them in august of 2014.

I'm going to put them on the rear, not crossing them and see if the rear tires do the same thing.

Even given the age, i'm dissappointed in the quality of michelin, i probably won't buy that brand for while.
I'm going to check out the front end, but nothing about how it drives or handles makes me think thats the problem.

Last edited:
They should be able to warranty prorate once you get to 2-4/32nds tread depth.

I just had a 273$ prorate credit on some defenders
I replaced with continental CONTROL CONTACT TOURING A/S for 24cents after DT rebates.

those 2013 era defenders are definitely one of michelin's worst tires in recent times.

Looking at pirelli cinturato P7. Or should I look at a softer lower mileage tire, would that perhaps hold up better on gravel?

cooper cs4 is what my wife runs on her civic, and we had (moved) a 2 miles dirt road.. they lasted the best about 45K. i'd tend to get a harder tire,
continentals are always a good tire.

In thinking about this, this is the first car i've had with lower profile tires. Its the first car i've had with tire wear issues. I'm wondering how much the effect of less sidewall is affecting wear on a gravel drive.

I'm thinking about going to a "15 wheel with a taller sidewall. Tire Rack has several wheels to do this.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
In thinking about this, this is the first car i've had with lower profile tires. Its the first car i've had with tire wear issues. I'm wondering how much the effect of less sidewall is affecting wear on a gravel drive.

I'm thinking about going to a "15 wheel with a taller sidewall. Tire Rack has several wheels to do this.

A couple of things. We've had Michelin Defenders on our Rav4 for a good 18 months or so, and during that time we've taken it off-road numerous times to get to trailheads and such. A few times that was over rocky terrain that no passenger car would be able to clear. We've had no tearing or chunking like you've experienced.

The other thing is that an alignment can be within factory specifications but still be bad for tire wear. The reason for this is that manufacturers set their tolerances very loosely as to what is "acceptable" because as your car rolls down the assembly line there is only a very short amount of time when it is at the alignment station. A good alignment will get the geometry equal from side to side, but will cost more - $100-200 is typical around where I live. A good technician will also alert you if they detect some mechanical issue like worn parts.

A smaller diameter rim with a taller sidewall will allow the tire to cushion better, but you will lose some steering precision when you're not on gravel. We run very high pressures in the Defenders on our Rav, 39 PSI front, 36.5 PSI back, and don't experience the tearing and chunking so I'd guess you either got a bad batch of tires or you have a front suspension issue, whether that's slignment or something that is worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back