Warm Weather = Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Twitter Post) Took advantage of the warm weather today and changed the oil and did a grease job in 55f weather. I even seen a Mosquito in the garage. How it survived these past couple of weeks is beyond me. The temps will be back in the 30's the rest of the week.

I hear ya. I did brakes, rotors, calipers, brake hoses, a grease job and an oil change last warm snap, it was in the low to mid 40's. I lucked out with the weather, so I thought. As it turns out waiting a little would have been even warmer. I hope I'm that lucky again in February when my Liberty will need an oil change.

I've done oil changes at 20F, or was it 10F? Stone cold engine. 0W for the win.
smile.gif

Haven't convinced myself that I want to do the timing belt job just yet. This winter has been odd, 10F one day, 50F the next. If I had an unheated garage I'd tackle the job, but right now I really want to hold off.

Although working in freezing weather has its advantages. Sweat much much less. No wet ground to deal with. No skeeters. And if you bash your figner, ice is always nearby.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Two oil changes and a walk in the park with a stroller. 55 and sunny.
I'll take that any winter day.

A walk with a stroller? Nothing in the stroller?

That's kind of creepy, man!

Couple weeks ago changed out the Civic at 4F after I discovered my extractor tube is too large, all good except for the 24"x18" skid plate and it's 8 weird fastners, the plate took more time that all the rest..in the cold..pia.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Couple weeks ago changed out the Civic at 4F after I discovered my extractor tube is too large, all good except for the 24"x18" skid plate and it's 8 weird fastners, the plate took more time that all the rest..in the cold..pia.

I'm about ready to "fix" my skidplate with the appropriate sized hole saw. Toyota was moronic on my Tundra: can drain the oil but to get to the filter I have to remove 5 or 6 bolts to get the skidplate off.

I change mine in late fall before the nasty weather, and that will suffice til we get a decent weather spring day. No need to go out in nasty weather for this.

Lucked out last week we had a mid thirties stretch and got a case of NAPA synthetic oil and did the deed sliding under the Transit on top of a piece of cardboard box on the snow. Should be good till spring. Wicked Xmas day with winds over 40 and mixed rain and sleet. Glad didn't need to go anywhere today either.

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm about ready to "fix" my skidplate with the appropriate sized hole saw. Toyota was moronic on my Tundra: can drain the oil but to get to the filter I have to remove 5 or 6 bolts to get the skidplate off.

Do the skid plate bolts still take a 12mm socket ?

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Change the oil in the spring and fall. No cold weather changes for me!

ditto, October and April for me.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: supton

Do the skid plate bolts still take a 12mm socket ?

Yes, all of them are the same size. What is the worst part is having to hold up the skidplate with one hand and then try to line it up so as to get the bolt started. Seems like every location needs the plate jostled around to get the bolt started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back