2000 Honda CRV no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently this car ( 2000 Honda CRV w/210k mi) stalled and would not start again (hot or cold). There is no spark. #9 ignition fuse is ok . No CEL codes. Fuel pump runs a few secs. I wanted to pull the dist rotor to check the coil and igniter (icm) but the screw head is stripped. Before I deal with that, could simply I check the ignition / cps at the gray 8 pin connector at the distributor? All that I can find on the web so far is that the black and yellow wire is the power in to the distributor. All I'm really trying to find out is whether the problem is the distributor is bad (vs which component inside - igniter, coil, hall effect sensor, etc) as aftermarket distributors for this car are relative inexpensive. Advice appreciated.

When you crank, does the tach move or not? I had a 1989 MX-6 that when the distributor failed, the tach needle stopped moving when starting which clued me in to the problem.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would wonder about the crankshaft potions sensor.

X2 tap it with a screwdriver and see if it comes to life.

Tach needle does not appear to move when cranking . So a little more checking around( http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1 ). Got power to distributor (yellow/black wire) I found that the ecm is sending a pulses signal to igniter ( LED flashed on/off - yellow /green sire ) so I assume that the CPS is ok (no stored codes either) . I hope so as I think that I think that the CPS might buried under the timing cover ( where is it ? - Honda /Acura B20B DOHC engine). Things are looking closer to it being a distributor problem.

Last edited:
I think those are still like the up to 2000 Civic where all the timing comes from the distributor. Some have a CPS but it is only to check if the timing belt has skipped, it will not prevent running if bad.

With the cap off, hold a grounded test wire near the coil output and have someone crank. The coil should throw strong blue sparks to your wire that can jump more than 1/2 inch. If you have to hold the wire real close and only get weak yellow sparks, the coil is bad.

Also check that the rotor is not melted. The bearing in the distributor can fail and heat up the rotor until it melts and goes out of time. Chinese knockoff distributors are available and are of pretty decent quality, just bolt on and go.

No spark from the coil terminal. The distributor rotor does not seem to be melted . I couldn't find any these car at the local u pick yard so I ordered on of those aftermarket distributors. Hopefully it gets here from the opposite coast sooner than their (updated after purchase) estimated UPS ground shipping time.

you need to check the crank position sensor . not just throw parts at it ... yes your guess could be right ... but why not make sure ..there are many videos ( on youtube ( South main Auto is best ..Shroedingers box next ) for diagnosing it .
you need a test light ..and maybe a volt meter ( usually need to make sure a referance voltage is being delivered at the connector .. and then need to check when turned over that it is sending a a pulse

I removed the distributor. I got the rotor screw loose with 3/8 drive phillips bit and remove the rotor and dust cover. Additional testing using some procedures found at Honda-tech dot com point to a bad igniter . Anyway, since the seal appeared to be weeping too, installing the new aftermarket distributor makes sense to me.

Although I have made match marks before removing the distributor and plan to measure and transfer them to the new distributor, I want of check the timing with timing light (still own one !) . However, from what I have found , this requires shorting service connector terminals (see info for a Civic - http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic...nector-2549755/ ) However I cannot seem to find the the ign timing service connector for my car (1997-2001 Gen 1 CRV ). Unfortunately, the best web forum that I have used in the past for working on this vehicle - www.hondasuv dot com seems to be gone.

Just to follow up - I received the $60 china distributor purchased via fleabay vendor and installed it using the match marks that made with the old one . The vehicle started right up and ran fine. I checked the timing with a timing light and found that it was too advanced so it had to be adjusted. I just hope that the new distributor lasts.

BTW- the ignition service connector was located below the OBD2 test port on the passenger side of the center console.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back