Needing another hollow bolt for frantz oil return

Status
Not open for further replies.
about 14 years ago, I put my first Frantz filter on my '77 chevy truck. I used the pan fitting and it worked great for the return. But about 2 months ago, I built a killer 406 small block for my truck. The pan is brand new, powerder coated and I just cannot bring myself to drill it and impact in another one of those fittings. Someone on the site here was kind enough to send me a 3/8" by 1 1/4" coarse intake hollow bolt for my '86 3/4 ton truck. Now I'm in need of one for my new 406. Might anyone know where to find that bolt? The head was about 3/8" tall and drilled/tapped 1/8" pipe and the oil returns into the valley. Super slick.
Thanks.

Mark Jacobsen
Phoenix az

enginedone.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1977c10phxdriver
about 14 years ago, I put my first Frantz filter on my '77 chevy truck. I used the pan fitting and it worked great for the return. But about 2 months ago, I built a killer 406 small block for my truck. The pan is brand new, powerder coated and I just cannot bring myself to drill it and impact in another one of those fittings. Someone on the site here was kind enough to send me a 3/8" by 1 1/4" coarse intake hollow bolt for my '86 3/4 ton truck. Now I'm in need of one for my new 406. Might anyone know where to find that bolt? The head was about 3/8" tall and drilled/tapped 1/8" pipe and the oil returns into the valley. Super slick.
Thanks.

Mark Jacobsen
Phoenix az

I was just thinking about my childhood friend today. When we got in high school,his dad gave him his '77 Chevy Silverado. Red with that off white mid-side moulding. Had some good times in that truck!

I"ve had it 34 years, fifth engine! LOL Close to 700,000 miles on chassis. Been totaled 2 times but body shop did it's magic and saved it. Mine is brown and tan with a matching shell camper. Orig. GM spoke wheels, center caps and big trim rings.

77picturenorthmtnpark.jpg

Last edited:
The valve covers are stamped steel. Not enough to tap. I do not have a traditional oil filler cap, I use the PCV hole for putting in oil. The covers are made by Proform and not set up for oil caps. I guess they figure I"d still have the pipe in the front of the intake like in the '50's! LOL. I"ve thought about taping that flat spot where the old pipe would have gone but cannot bring myself to drill and tap a hole right over my cam! Even with grease on the drill and tap, one bugger and my cam goes away. I"ve got way too much invested in this to take that chance.

Just contact the Frantz filter dealer. Located in Ohio. They have the part you want.

Nevermind I did find it, it is now called Frantzfilters.com. when it was being run by the original owners daughter, it used to be called we filter it.com

I"m still hunting for the hollow bolt and striking out everywhere. Frantz says yes, but its actually that pan fitting. I hate to have to hammer that punch into my brand new extra thick pan and screw it up. I"ve called my machinist but I need a bolt with an extra tall head, no one has one. Oh well,

Try Kreitz Oval Track Parts. They have a good assortment of hollow bolts. I do not know if the ones they carry are threaded in the hollow part of the bolt. Check their online catalog - fasteners section.

Last edited:
I would say your best option is to go with a pass through adapter/bushing in the valve cover or pull the intake to drill and tap for a fitting. Quite easy to do and a set of intake gaskets are less than $20.

I got it all done went for a drive it started leaking I pulled the whole thing off it's on the bench it's going to be up for sale soon anybody wants to watch the board under bypass filters I'm fed up with this thing I'm too tired I'm too old to screw with it

My pigheadedness is going to get the best of me. I am actually considering taking the intake off just so I can drill a 5/16 hole in it and run it tap in it. I know it's not that difficult I can have the intake off on average in 27 minutes. It's just physically now it's very painful operation for me to do that but who knows, I may just get stupid and go out there and do it one of these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back