What do you do with older but Ok - Batteries ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
So OP is in south Florida. I thought warm weather was kind to batteries ? I do recall that some battery makers will sell a certain rated batter in a "Northern" formula vs. a "southern" formula, but I have no idea of the differences. I am in Maryland so it can get ultra hot in the summer, but winters average right around freezing with dips into the teens and below in rare occasions.

I would call Optima tech support and ask their advice on warn climate battery: 3 years just seems too short.

Side reactions destroy batteries. Arrhenius (remember high school chemistry?) tells us that for every 8 degrees celsius, reaction rates double.

Average temps year round in FL vs Canada would indicate multiple doubling of the reaction rates...

At one time I worked for the largest battery manufacturer in the US, batteries in the South have much shorter lifespans than the ones in the north. JHZR2 is exactly correct.

Of course keeping water in the battery and making sure your charging system works properly are important too. Vibration gets batteries as well as do deep-discharge events.

i save and reuse supposedly "bad" batteries others have given up.
many are good with a charge/test.
truly bad ones go for cores to one of the guys i get the big ups batts from.they know to not waste time testing them and put them on the scrap pile.
i know the signs of impending failure and have never been surprised.
i have a optima red top thats 16 now.one day it will fail but its no big deal.

My OEM Nissan battery is borderline at 2.5 years. I also disagree that batteries give warning before they fail with modern cars. I load test mine 2X once they reach 3 years; the Nissan battery really caught me off guard - my OEM Toyota Echo battery (Panasonic AGM) lasted 11 years. Once they are marginal I replace them and keep them for 6 months before I turn them in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
So OP is in south Florida. I thought warm weather was kind to batteries ? I do recall that some battery makers will sell a certain rated batter in a "Northern" formula vs. a "southern" formula, but I have no idea of the differences. I am in Maryland so it can get ultra hot in the summer, but winters average right around freezing with dips into the teens and below in rare occasions.

I would call Optima tech support and ask their advice on warn climate battery: 3 years just seems too short.

Side reactions destroy batteries. Arrhenius (remember high school chemistry?) tells us that for every 8 degrees celsius, reaction rates double.

Average temps year round in FL vs Canada would indicate multiple doubling of the reaction rates...

No one is arguing that the batteries last shorter in warmer temperatures that's not the issue ...The information in your post above proves that batteries will fail gradually overtime not abruptly ...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
have them load tested w/printout as a selling feature.

Who,Where,Cost of doing this ?

Originally Posted By: henni
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
have them load tested w/printout as a selling feature.

Who,Where,Cost of doing this ?

Most auto parts places like Advance Auto and Autozone will give you a little print out after doing the load test and they do it for free.

What exactly would constitute failing the load test? Less than 50% of CCA rating? I certainly wouldn't trust the counter jockey to know the true answer.

Originally Posted By: buck91
What exactly would constitute failing the load test? Less than 50% of CCA rating? I certainly wouldn't trust the counter jockey to know the true answer.

Counter Jockey doesn't have to; Midtronics has a formula. They make the tester pretty idiot proof-- if the connections aren't exactly kosher it complains and refuses to work. An infared sniffer gets the battery temperature and compensates. And yes 50% is the cutoff for failure, 60% the warning. A new battery will test 10-20% over sticker CCA. Midtronics says don't do this, it's false, but it's a good demo to a customer that they got "more than they paid for".

If the "counter jockey" (I hate that term for a professional with an honest job) suggests that 70% isn't great, while the midtronics printout reads "PASS" and the customer agrees, that's on them.

I've got some electric power equipment like a pole saw, wood chipper, etc. I thought about mounting an old battery to the flat part of a two wheel dolly and a cord reel to the back of it and an inverter so I can roll it around the yard without rigging up 200 feet of extension cords.

I built one of these for my workstation. Power in my area has been hit and miss so PC and networking stuff are placed on UPSes:

7nMAlQN.jpg

It's also nice to have one of these battery pulse shooter testers. It's a bit pricey at $80 but it's paid for itself already. I've bought used batteries with it and after a charge they still test as brand new. Add it to your monthly maintenance check to detect pre-emptive battery failure.

ukBMTDG.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: buck91

Counter Jockey doesn't have to; Midtronics has a formula. They make the tester pretty idiot proof-- if the connections aren't exactly kosher it complains and refuses to work. An infared sniffer gets the battery temperature and compensates. And yes 50% is the cutoff for failure, 60% the warning. A new battery will test 10-20% over sticker CCA. Midtronics says don't do this, it's false, but it's a good demo to a customer that they got "more than they paid for".

If the "counter jockey" (I hate that term for a professional with an honest job) suggests that 70% isn't great, while the midtronics printout reads "PASS" and the customer agrees, that's on them.

My last battery was a Exide group 65 rated 1000CCA, and at 4 years old it put out 600CCA. Guy who tested it pointed out they sell 600 CCA new group 65 batteries and mine was no worse than a new 600 CCA. I kept it 3 more years and had no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back