QSUD 5W30 vs. PPP 5W30 Add Pack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using these two SOPUS 5W30 synthetic oils as a comparison - dare I say the add pack in the QSUD 5W30 is not only different but perhaps slightly better (i.e. moly content ?) Not sure what games can be played with the natural gas conversion process in PPP but the QSUD 5W30 add pack appears to be quite good (considering it's the little sister of the higher end PPP) ... Your thoughts ?

I would pick the oil that best fits your budget and the oil(after trial & error) which makes your engine sound/feel best/MPG.

I like PP as I have had good results when using it. However, I've been a bit biased toward QSUD as it seems to make the engine quieter/less audible.

I have used both of these and they seemed to perform well. Just recently(last 60 days)I switched to Maxlife full syn and it really has made two of my vehicles run fantastic(smooth and quiet)... Just seems to be so many fine oils available today.

Similar enough in all respects that even the prices are fairly close together. Buy/use whichever you find on sale during the year. And when I need that 6th quart for an oil change, it doesn't matter if the next one is PP/QSUD 5w-30. While my preference is to PP, I'm currently running QSUD on the current OCI. Then back to PP next time.

My Pilot doesn't use a drop of oil except the one time I used PPPP. Was down 1/2 qt during a 6K OCI.

From the PQIA...PP 5W30 from 2014.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/pennzplatinum.htm

And QSUD 5W30 from 2013.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/quakerstatesyn.htm

Not much difference between the two going by these numbers...I remember being curious about why QSUD didn't have more boron when I used it briefly, looks like it is also mostly absent from the PP. Maybe the only real difference is PP having GTL base stocks? I dropped the QSUD because I wanted to go with a low calcium oil due to LSPI concerns in my DIT engine, didn't have an issues to report in the 5000 miles I ran it.

Prior to 2014, PP and QSUD were very similar with the biggest difference probably being their additive packages.

In 2014, PP went to GTL base stocks and they are no longer similar oils. I believe QSUD had a formula change in 2014 that included the heavier dose of moly (~200 ppm) than appears in the PQIA test above along with some other changes. In reading more recent SOPUS spec sheets, the comparative viscosities in some grades have changed along with other measures ( including anecdotal experience with these as the only two oils I've used in the last five years ) would indicate they're significantly enough different oils now.

This is the only place I've found on the internet that still continually repeats that they're the same oil with minor differences.

My thoughts are did you actually see a pds from late 2016 ??
Personally between those too i like the qsud the best although it did not seem to clean as well

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
My thoughts are did you actually see a pds from late 2016 ??
Personally between those too i like the QSUD the best although it did not seem to clean as well
No , I have not seen 2016 pds numbers yet . It would not surprise me if PPP cleans better as that is one of it's marketing features . Since I have a 2017 Hyundai GDI engine my OCI's will be kept around 5K ~ 6K miles max . Besides protection - cleanliness , low NOACK and minimal VII's are key . I just changed from the factory fill at 1,300 miles and put in Quaker State Syn Blend 5W30 (Dexos 1) which I will run for a couple of 4K mile OCI's before switching over to either PPP 5W30 or the QSUD 5W30 . *I will note that the factory fill was 5W20 and at 1300 miles the fuel dilution was pretty noticeable so out it came . The 5W30 is noticeably quieter and the engine sounds much less "tinny" than with 5W20 . Gas mileage is very close as well with the 5W30 versus the 5W20 in this GDI engine .

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
There is actually a much newer QSUD 5W30 VOA on the PQIA website, just about a year old...

http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30dexos.html

. Yes, moly is about 3X the 2013 reading. Can't find a newer Pennzoil Platinum Pureplus VOA for 5W30 on that site...

Just a guess that QSUD does not have trinuclear molybdenum, and PPP does. Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but thought I would mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back