0W-20 ok to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Versa with 23k miles on the 1.6L. Would it be ok to run Castrol Magnatec 0W-20 in it? It has been running 5W-30 conventional previously, however the free dealer oil changes have ran out so I will be doing them myself now. I live in Southern California, so the temperatures range from 30-40 "cold" weather to 110-115 come summer time.

Why run a 0w-20? It's not like you have any real cold to deal with. I run 5w-30 Pennzoil platinum in my versa and we get to -30f here occasionally.

I was curious as I had read that in the newer Nissans you could go between 0W-20 and 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Use the recommended viscosity in your owners manual. Ed

Yup another no need to over think it thread developing.

I run 5w20 in my 16' Versa during the winter. The only real reason is that I have a bunch of 5w20 and 5w30.

Originally Posted By: SoCal_FiST
I have a 2015 Versa with 23k miles on the 1.6L. Would it be ok to run Castrol Magnatec 0W-20 in it? It has been running 5W-30 conventional previously, however the free dealer oil changes have ran out so I will be doing them myself now. I live in Southern California, so the temperatures range from 30-40 "cold" weather to 110-115 come summer time.

The key is the owners manual. It has a section on oil viscosity at various temps. Follow it using the coldest temp expected between now and next oil change.

I was curious as I had read that in the newer Nissans you could go between 0W-20 and 5W-30.

Correct but it needs more precision than "in between." You need to run 2.5W-25 to be exactly between those two grades. Advanced Auto Parts has this viscosity but you'll need to ask a store clerk for they keep it under the front counter. If they say there's no stock it's because all their employees bought it out.

Ran 0w20 QSUD and M1AFE the past couple winters in my truck. This year it has 5w30 M1... I do like the peace of mind that 0w20 gives during late night winter fire calls, but overall I doubt it makes a hoot of difference in my environment. Both oils are well within their minimum temp ranges and I don't get any type of start up noises.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

Correct but it needs more precision than "in between." You need to run 2.5W-25 to be exactly between those two grades. Advanced Auto Parts has this viscosity but you'll need to ask a store clerk for they keep it under the front counter. If they say there's no stock it's because all their employees bought it out.

The secret handshake will get it at 59 cents a quart too

The manual for my Altima recommends 0W20 but it also says that 5W30 conventional can be used to maintain the warranty. This has caused some confusion with some folks. In So Cal I would continue to use 5W30.

Magnatec is only a syn blend in 5w30 (the 0/5w20's are full synthetic)

My choice would be Napa Synthetic since it's still on sale for just $2.99/qt. It is rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

Thanks everyone 5W-30 in Magnatec it is.

Good choice. Magnatec 5W30 is producing some excellent UOA results right now. Yes it's a semi-synthetic, but it does a good job, even in EB turbos which are hard on oil. Should perform fine in your Nissan.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why do people psychologically gravitate towards thinner oils ? Totally baffles me.
confused2.gif

Maybe it's like the attraction most men have toward thinner women?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back