Battery case sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 161R battery is so tiny! Looks like an ATV battery, and the Walmart Gold Maxx 151R is only good for 340 CCA!

Originally Posted By: supton
my Tundra has 27R, and a quick look reveals Walmart doesn't have it, which makes me wonder if it's an oddball size. Not that I expect Walmart to carry everything, but if they don't have it then I wonder how common it is--and part of the allure of using Walmart is the ease of warranty handling.

Try 27F
smile.gif

Sorry. I think you must be correct re automotive batteries. I buy marine batteries and the sizes increase from group 24 thru 31 on marine batteries.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The 161R battery is so tiny! Looks like an ATV battery, and the Walmart Gold Maxx 151R is only good for 340 CCA!

Originally Posted By: supton
my Tundra has 27R, and a quick look reveals Walmart doesn't have it, which makes me wonder if it's an oddball size. Not that I expect Walmart to carry everything, but if they don't have it then I wonder how common it is--and part of the allure of using Walmart is the ease of warranty handling.

Try 27F
smile.gif

After looking into it I suspect I will do that. No need for more cranking capacity, not when my near-dead battery is doing just fine. What's odd is that a 24F and a 27R have the terminals in the same spot.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Nitpic. Look within each brand 27>24,29>27,31>29. I omitted 34 with happens to be a smaller battery. Perhaps I should have said generally the higher the number the larger the battery.
Stock battery for my Camry is a 35. I put in a 24F and it's way bigger.

This was the case for my G35 as well. I went to costco and they told me either 35 and 24F fits. I glanced at CCA, i think the 35 had 550. I saw 700CCA for the 24F for $10 more and it was a no brainer being in the midwest where CCA does matter.

I didn't notice the size being way bigger. I was a little disppointed the 35 had a strap and the 24f didn't. But i'll take the more CCA.

If one really wants high CCA bragging rights, and is willing to pay for it, The Thin plate pure lead AGM's are the winners.

Northstar group 24 have 840CCA Sold at batteries plus as X2power. 4 year free replacement warranty

Odyssey group 34 have 850 CCA

These AGM batteries like to list a 'pulse cranking amps' which is more of a 5 second test where CCA is 30 seconds.

They can turn a starting motor scary fast, but are unneeded overkill with a price to reflect that ability.

If deeply cycled they require a high amp recharge, and preferable to 100% full

When deeply cycled, Odyssey require that their group 31( 100AH capacity) gets no less than 40 amps, applied until 14.7v is reached, then hold 14.7 for 4 more hours.

YOur alternator might meet the 40 amps, but it will likely not achieve 14.7v and certainly not hold it for the 5 hours, even if you drove for 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back