Just got back from Xmas road trip. Guess MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just returned to Florence, OR from the Citrus Heights area of Sacramento. I drove 1,043 miles total and used 28.2 gallons of premium. Yup, I got 36.98MPG @80MPH on I5 using cruise control and only using the brakes when I had to slow for impeding traffic. This was in my 20 year old Maxima with 330,000 miles.

On a side note, gas prices were such:
Williams, CA-$2.999/Gal
Yreka, CA----$2.899/Gal
Ashland, OR--$2.739/Gal
Florence, OR-$2.339/Gal

Originally Posted By: asand1
Screwed up my math. I burned 40.66 Gallons and got only 25.65 MPG.
Lol, I was a little confused there for a second.

She still got me home with no troubles. I love her for it, and I think I'll reward her with some adjustable coil-overs.

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
25mpg isn't too shabby for a 20 yr old v6! 310k! That's impressive!

Thanks, I didn't think so either.

I was going to say i NEVER pulled anything higher then 28mpg on my maxima. And that was really trying. Driving normally i would pull maybe 23-24 on the highway @ 80-95mph. Michigan troopers didn't care too much at night.

I was doing a 600 round trip from chicago to detroit every other weekend for a year.

If we lives in an area w/o salt, i think it would of taken it to 350k by now. But now its my brother daily and he does like 8 miles round trip on it. Its a solid car minus the rust.

Last edited:
Isn't that amazing, considering the age of the vehicle and the technology at the time? Today they use 9 speed transmissions, and all sorts of other technology and in many cases get less mpg with more problems.
27.gif

Last year it was 75 degrees on Christmas. I managed 50MPG round trip in the Focus to my parents and back!

Granted, I was really trying for it. Pretty sure I never went above 45-50MPH, coasted a lot in gear. Wasn't a lot of traffic so I didn't get too many people mad.

Thats decent mileage from the old girl, and for that she does deserve a little treat.

I typically don't bother checking mpg, but with my 00 Century I did on occasion because the gas gauge didn't work. On road trips to Fort Lee VA we'd get in the 36-38 mpg range from the old Buick. Low tech, and a 4 speed AT, what's not to like, and no headaches.

It surprises me how the old Buicks (I'm most familiar with 3800-powered ones) could be so big, physically and mechanically, but still do 25-30+ without trying too hard. BIL's '98 Lesabre w/215K has gotten 28 at times.

However, sipping on Chevron and Sunoco premium, my '13 Cruze LT (1.4/M6) pulled right at 40 from Birmingham, into central GA, and back up through TN, and the last 300 mi. (From the Sunoco fill-up) was 42.9.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
It surprises me how the old Buicks (I'm most familiar with 3800-powered ones) could be so big, physically and mechanically, but still do 25-30+ without trying too hard. BIL's '98 Lesabre w/215K has gotten 28 at times.

However, sipping on Chevron and Sunoco premium, my '13 Cruze LT (1.4/M6) pulled right at 40 from Birmingham, into central GA, and back up through TN, and the last 300 mi. (From the Sunoco fill-up) was 42.9.
shocked.gif

Ours impressed the [censored] out of me. Low tech, high mpg, what's not to like? I miss the car.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
GAS IS EXPENSIVE OUT THERE! Kansas its $2.09.

You can buy premium fuel for $2.09/gal? Wow -- that IS cheap.

Around here, regular is about $2.10 and premium is about $2.70.

I just did a 2900 mile trip in my 2016 Avalon. 33.2 mpg highway. M1 0w20 AFE. Tires inflated 2 psi over the door tag.

Last edited:
We spent Xmas in Key West, FL, driving there from Orlando area. Round trip was just over 800 miles.

Round trip MPG was 54.4, on regular unleaded.

Our average speed was 65 MPH, so we weren't trying too hard.

We have a 2014 PriusC hybrid, 1500cc 4 banger, CVT transmission.

Tire PSI is 51lbs. 0w-20 Toyota Synthetic Oil.

We purchased this car new for under $18,000 out the door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back