NYT Article: Is America over the Whole Car Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that only out of necessity do I even consider an auto or pickup anymore. Absolutely nothing that ANY of the OEM's is making causes me to want to take a closer look and consider. Partly their fault and partly the gooberment. I would rather that I didn't have to buy another vehicle. Will be a dark day when it comes. But Uber, the mass transit stuff, etc are not part of rural life. That doesn't leave many choices.

In the big cities with their high traffic volume that sort of mentality is understandable. I also wouldn't want to drive in the overpopulated urban and inner city areas with their extreme traffic issues. That being said, in areas of the country where we don't live in inner city squalor, the article is completely irrelevant.

The NYT is a new York city, Manhattan centric news rag. The hip youngsters making the scene in NY today will only live in Manhattan, or a few select Brooklyn neighborhoods that are just over the bridge. They will take a smallish one bedroom and carve it up so that three can afford to live in that one apartment rather than moving 5 miles further out. These folks spend very little time at home, so a relatively quiet sleeping spot is about all they need.

If your world is centered in and limited to that small, small area of the country, a car is totally unnecessary as long as Uber, yellow cabs or any of the black car services (many of whom will pick up street hails illegally) is at their beck and call. With their lifestyle, they are able to thumb their noses at car owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back