Adding automatic transmission oil to fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of car owners here are Adding automatic transmission oil (usually mobil atf 220) to fuel "gasoline" tank to clean fuel cycle & injectors, some says a cup to a full tank is enough and others put 500 ml.
My question is: is what they are doing based on a scientific rule or it will be harmful someway?

I see no advantage to doing that. Its not a solvent. You would be better off adding toluene or Xylol to the fuel.

Never heard of tht. Ive heard of ppl adding it to the oil before an oil change. Ive added atf to my oil before an oil change before on my old cars.

Last edited:
We used to prefill fuel filters on diesels with ATF.

Not worth it.

If they want to do something worthwhile, add a dose of a brand brand product that cobraibs a good dose of PEA.

Otherwise, a tiny dose of TCW-3 type 2-stroke oil would be good. Not sure what you can get in Egypt though...

We don't have any of your suggestions in Egypt, actually i don't know the names !!

But i'll not do that as it meant for diesel.

# 1. hi

# 2. it may lube pump and injectors a bit.

# 3. Atf is not high detergent and is about 20wt. in viscosity. big detergent myth there...

# 4. The guys are right buy something with P.e.a. in it. like techron or just about any gumout product.

I ran some "tiny bottle" gumout total fuel system cleaner and was impressed.

Good Luck my friend !
cool.gif

Frequently I see TC-W3 mentioned, but it may not be widely known what that means. It is a standard for 2 stroke gasoline engine oil, aka Two Cycle Water cooled. TC-W2 was the earlier standard, while TC-W3 was introduced later. This oil is either added to the gasoline (called pre-mix) or added to a separate tank if the engine employs oil injection. Unlike typical 4 stroke engines, 2 stroke oil is completely burned in the combustion cycle. Adding a small amount to the gasoline for a 4 stroke engine can sometimes have benefits , such as long term storage of 4 stroke marine engines. Never add 2 stroke oil to the crankcase of a 4 stroke engine

I was going to link some info, but I have no idea what is available in Egypt, so here is the Wikipedia link-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_oil
http://www.shell.eg/en_eg/motorists/oils...rcycle-oil.html

I have never used it before, but Marvel Mystery Oil might serve a similar purpose.

It was a common practice to add ATF to diesel fuel, unfortunately, ATF formulation change.

Modern ATF have a lot of ingredients that prolong the life of the oil to last longer but it is not easily burn when used as a fuel.

IIRC, there are lot of discussion on this in this forum, you can probably search it.

atf has no detergent chemistry.

click here: click me facts about oil and atf. :)

Myth #12

Adding a quart of ATF the day before an oil change will clean your engine. ATF added to the motor oil will clean the engine due to the high levels of detergent in ATF.

Fact
ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine. We recommends that you keep the fluids where they belong: motor oil in the crankcase, and automatic transmission fluid in the transmission.

Please do not perpetuate myths guys ....

Good luck guys !!
cool.gif

Thank you all, you've added a lot to my knowledge.

But actually i don't know what are toluene, Xylol & Techron and what's their job !

Originally Posted By: Omar_Eltahan
Thank you all, you've added a lot to my knowledge.

But actually i don't know what are toluene, Xylol & Techron and what's their job !

Toluene,Xylol and Techron are the real names of the Three Stooges that made comedy films many years ago.

Everyone knows that you only add ATF to your gas tank if you're having difficulty shifting your gas tank from Reverse flow to Forward flow especially on cold days or if the framis matter separator shows a pressure differential of more than 3PSIG on the high pressure side. A low pressure drop out on the vapor canister is not a reliable indicator of framis matter back pressure when removing the fill cap and therefor ATF should not be added until gas tank shifting starts getting sluggish.

I hope this clears up the question of when to add ATF to the gas tank.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Everyone knows that you only add ATF to your gas tank if you're having difficulty shifting your gas tank from Reverse flow to Forward flow especially on cold days or if the framis matter separator shows a pressure differential of more than 3PSIG on the high pressure side. A low pressure drop out on the vapor canister is not a reliable indicator of framis matter back pressure when removing the fill cap and therefor ATF should not be added until gas tank shifting starts getting sluggish.

I hope this clears up the question of when to add ATF to the gas tank.

Forget the MMO for anything except a soak of seized engine.

Some add TC-W3 to diesel fuel for added lubricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back