$850/liter Oil!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed to change the oil in my ICP-MS vacuum pump. It's a REALLY good vacuum pump. I was told from Purchasing that this stuff was $850 for a liter bottle!!

IMG_20160819_095851543.jpg

Here is some info on it:
Some Spec Data

Last edited:
Here is some context for those who were as puzzled as me..

Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is a type of mass spectrometry which is capable of detecting metals and several non-metals at concentrations as low as one part in 1015 (part per quadrillion, ppq) on non-interfered low-background isotopes.

Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is a type of mass spectrometry which is capable of detecting metals and several non-metals at concentrations as low as one part in 1015 (part per quadrillion, ppq) on non-interfered low-background isotopes.

^ Reddy...you beat me to it! ^ LOL!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Here is some context for those who were as puzzled as me..

Must be low end model....

Quote:
LEYBONOL PFPE oils are synthetic oils which are only composed of carbon (C), fluorine (F) and oxygen atoms (O). The existing C-O and C-F bonds are highly stable.

For this reason PFPE oils are practically inert against all chemical and oxidising influences and have a high thermal stability.

I think it would be a great choice for those lifetime oil lawn mowers...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
For $850.00 a litre Jeannie (from i dream of Jeannie) better be popping out of that bottle..

"If you look close enough, you can see bush."

--Andrew Dice Clay in reference to Jeannie

That's $0.85 a drop! It's crazy how expensive oil is for some specialty equipment. I know some years ago we had some blowers in pure gas O2 service that required oil that was around $600/qt for their bearing cavities.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
For $850.00 a litre Jeannie (from i dream of Jeannie) better be popping out of that bottle..

"If you look close enough, you can see bush."

--Andrew Dice Clay in reference to Jeannie

Just choked on my coffee on that one! LOL!!

Last edited:
It's all relative, what did the equipment cost it's going into?

We spend ~$25 for oil (not counting other perishable fluids) for a $25,000 vehicle that's a 1:1000 ratio, so if the machine that's getting this oil is something like $500,000 to $1M I'd say the cost is more than fair.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
It's all relative, what did the equipment cost it's going into?

We spend ~$25 for oil (not counting other perishable fluids) for a $25,000 vehicle that's a 1:1000 ratio, so if the machine that's getting this oil is something like $500,000 to $1M I'd say the cost is more than fair.

This ICP-MS is about $350k. So yeah, I understand. The vacuum pump is probably a $50k replacement. Sure, it's all relative.

I just wanted to show you what $850 oil looked like!!

I've had my share of battles with an older ICP-MS that probably should have been retired.

Our roughing pump on the "front" section of the instrument was a massive Leybold affair. Even though I changed the oil periodically, it still needed a rebuild about two years from the amount of nitric acid it ingested.

I was given enough turbo pump oil that I kept the turbos going. Not only are they expensive, but I've seen the after effects of a turbo that decided it didn't want to pump anymore-it's a scary sight.

BTW, this is nothing compared to the price of good quality watch lubricants. Moebius oils run about $20 per .5mL. Granted in that context, .5Ml is a lot, but still.

If I'm reading the label right, it's a PFPE oil. PFPE is great stuff, I've seen it used for rotary vane vacuum pumps running oxygen, and related fluids used to suppress sparkover in 200kV electron microscopes.

PFPE oils have great properties, but inexpensive has never been one that I've seen

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back