Battery case sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a method to the naming of the cases? I took a quick look, and didn't get far. 24, 27, etc. Are the numbers random, or is there a method to the size?

Also, the number can be followed by a letter, like F and R. Presumably to swap terminal locations, left & right, top vs side post.

My Camry has a 24F, but my Tundra has 27R, and a quick look reveals Walmart doesn't have it, which makes me wonder if it's an oddball size. [Not that I expect Walmart to carry everything, but if they don't have it then I wonder how common it is--and part of the allure of using Walmart is the ease of warranty handling.]

Since I'm now battery shopping I just realized I didn't know what those numbers & letters mean. CCA etc is easy enough to understand, and info easily found if I didn't.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The Interstate Battery website has a lot of battery info. The 27R seems to be a bit of an oddball. Its got less CCA than the 27 for one Interstate model.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/car-and-truck-batteries/

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/car-and-truck-batteries/megatron-two-batteries

Ah thanks, didn't think to look at a manufacturer and just see a table. It's seemingly random. Almost like group 24 was the 24th design.

That table does tell me that 27 is only slightly wider, and has a bit more CCA. At the very least I can use a 24F from my other vehicles in a pinch--or just go that route, as it's usually not dead of winter around here.

Just got A Walmart 24 battery in my kids Scion. Original battery was 9 years old and it was going to get cold,-13f. The 24f battery has the +&- terminals opposite the 24. They had lots of 24f and 1 of the 24's with a 12/15 made date on it. I waited till they got some new ones in.

The "R" typically means that the position of the + and - terminals is reversed.

I'll probably wait until Tues. If it starts tomorrow, great; if not, then I'll swap in the Camry battery and motor on. No sense in dealing with the holiday rush.

Nitpic. Look within each brand 27>24,29>27,31>29. I omitted 34 with happens to be a smaller battery. Perhaps I should have said generally the higher the number the larger the battery.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Nitpic. Look within each brand 27>24,29>27,31>29. I omitted 34 with happens to be a smaller battery. Perhaps I should have said generally the higher the number the larger the battery.
Stock battery for my Camry is a 35. I put in a 24F and it's way bigger.

Originally Posted By: FZ1

It's not nitpicking, it's fact. Brand has nothing to do with it either. Even saying 'generally' does not make it more correct. It simply is not the case.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
And the Group 51 battery commonly used in small Hondas is about half the size of a Group 24.

You beat me to it!

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
And the Group 51 battery commonly used in small Hondas is about half the size of a Group 24.

Yup, forgot about that one. Mazda MX-5s started using them when they moved the battery from the quarter panel to the engine bay.

24F is same as a 24C, except with terminal positions reversed. The letters stand for the most common car brands that favored those sizes way back, i.e., Ford and Chevrolet.

Prius uses an AGM the same physical size as a 51 or 51R, except with JIS (smaller) terminal posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back