BITOG seems to be getting amazon referral $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed the URL of an amazon link I posted "gained a bunch of junk" in it. I can only assume this sends a few well-deserved sheckels this site's way when someone buys through said link.

If someone is considering buying something from this site, consider following the link directly, and not doing it later from home, etc.

Any other affiliations? Ebay? Walmart?

He was thinking that the amazon.com links were being automatically modified / "injected" by the site so every time someone posted an Amazon link, it would become a referral link that would give a commission to BITOG.

I know bitog isn't a non profit, but there's smile.amazon.com where you can pick a non profit, and they donate .5% of qualifying purchases to that charity.

Seems pretty legit.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
So what if they did get some Amazon money? Who cares?

Do you like this site? Wish there were some behind-the-scenes tech to "tip" the hosts?

Given a choice between two methods of purchase, it'd be cool to slide some money to keep the lights on with little-to-no extra effort. Bummer it's not happening (yet).

It's way more than pennies. Amazon pays 4-8% commission on the entire sale, or anything purchased with 24 hours of clicking the link. It does it by dropping a referral cookie in your browser. You dont even have to purchase the item linked. You can link a quart of oil for $4.00, someone clicks it, comes back the next day and buys a $1000 Samsung TV. You've just earned commission on the $1000 sale.

No idea where the funding comes from if it's not Amazon, they obviously dont want advertiser money, I've been sending unanswered messages, pm's and emails for a year trying to give the site money to advertise here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back