Catfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made catfish for dinner last night-one of our fall and winter favorite fish. Simple, healthy and full of flavor. Just a wash made up of whole milk and eggs, and then a dredge through seasoned stone ground white corn meal.

Along with home made cheddar biscuits and coleslaw. A touch of real lemon for the fish.

Looks good. Won't be able to get on the lakes safely for a bit yet to snag some fresh perch. Had to settle for tilapia last night:(
Rabbit came to lunch on some spilt corn last night so will be fried and roasted for supper tonight.

looking good, i enjoyed some cat fish about a month ago. my brother and i have been talking about having some gator soon.

keep on cooking!

You've reminded me that we haven't had catfish for some time.
I need to put it on next week's menu.

Living a mile from the Atlantic, outside of trout, my fish are saltwater. Whats the scoop on catfish? You guys catch them or are they farm raised? I imagine wild catfish must not taste very good being as they are bottom feeders like the small mouth bass in MA. I don't fish, but I have BILs that do. SMBs are a catch and release, because they taste like mud. Wild trout and pickerel, are worth hassling with the tiny rib bones though. Just had a crazy thought about farm raised fish. Most farmed fish are fed corn meal. Compared to wild, they're kinda blah. How about added flavorings to the feed. Lemon, hot pepper, garlic and butter,bacon, etc. Along the lines of what is being done with chips?
27.gif

Last edited:
I was raised on Mississippi river Channel Catfish in Rock Island ILL and it is the best eating fish to me. I go back every summer and it is the first meal I look forward to. Ed HAyes

Originally Posted By: andyd
Living a mile from the Atlantic, outside of trout, my fish are saltwater. Whats the scoop on catfish? You guys catch them or are they farm raised? I imagine wild catfish must not taste very good being as they are bottom feeders like the small mouth bass in MA. I don't fish, but I have BILs that do. SMBs are a catch and release, because they taste like mud. Wild trout and pickerel, are worth hassling with the tiny rib bones though. Just had a crazy thought about farm raised fish. Most farmed fish are fed corn meal. Compared to wild, they're kinda blah. How about added flavorings to the feed. Lemon, hot pepper, garlic and butter,bacon, etc. Along the lines of what is being done with chips?
27.gif

Wild catfish is the only way to go around here. Farm has a lot less flavor and nutrition. It's easy to tell. If the catfish fillet is white, it's farm raised. If it's red, it's wild.

Nice fish. We had an old wife the other night, caught fresh in the sea. We generally eat fresh caught dolphin and tuna though when in the islands, fresh flounder, freshrockfish, and frozen pacific salmon whenhomw. We'll have to try some catfish when the opportunity arises.

Haven't had catfish for ages...at least 15 years.

When I was a young teen, we used to catch "eel tailed catfish" in the warm water around Torrens Island Power Station (Adelaide)...

On a boat the last couple of weeks, and one of the lunches was corn meal fried catfish, so I grabbed it. Only one of my nephews would try a piece, and he was impressed.

Lucky to have it around.

Cajun restaurant here on Long Island used to serve a catfish dish on Mondays that was unreal. Pan fried catfish in a white wine mushroom sauce served over rice and crawfish tails.

We had catfish last week. Just a little less healthy as we had a good ol' fish fry, was a nice treat for sure.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I made catfish for dinner last night-one of our fall and winter favorite fish. Simple, healthy and full of flavor. Just a wash made up of whole milk and eggs, and then a dredge through seasoned stone ground white corn meal.

Along with home made cheddar biscuits and coleslaw. A touch of real lemon for the fish.

Healthy it is not.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Healthy it is not.
Looks fine. The 70s and 80s propaganda has been thoroughly debunked but not everyone has gotten the memo.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Healthy it is not.
Looks fine. The 70s and 80s propaganda has been thoroughly debunked but not everyone has gotten the memo.

All that "health" data that was bought and paid for by the sugar industry ?

Yep, it was wrong, made people fat, and contributed greatly to heart disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back