Silicone (not silicon) effects on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good night
So recently my coil pack seals started to leak, the cover containing the seals needs to be replace but its costing me roughly $800.
My mechanic said the problem can be fixed by using silicone to stop oil from getting into the coil packs.
My question is that would the silicone cause any kind of contamination to my engine oil?

Is he gonna use an rtv type silicone gasket? When I changed the vcg in my car I had to put some ultra grey in a couple spots.silicon shot up to 127 PPM. Blackstone said it was fine and should decrease. I think Blackstone uses silicone/silicon levels to gauge how the air filter is doing (letting in dirt and making oil dirty or not) but silicone itself won't hurt the engine. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Always eager to learn
smile.gif

The danger is a blob of it might end up in the oil system, and plug an oil gallery. Aside from that there is nothing inherently wrong with silicone sealant use in an engine. It's important to use only enough to do the job and not apply excessively.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Just don't do a UOA for awhile and wait for the sili-compounds to have leached out.

+1 I should have done the UOA before changing the gasket
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The danger is a blob of it might end up in the oil system, and plug an oil gallery. Aside from that there is nothing inherently wrong with silicone sealant use in an engine. It's important to use only enough to do the job and not apply excessively.

also +1 do not use too much. Depends on how much RTV is used, but once everything is back together let the engine sit for at least 2-3 hours so the gasket material can solidify just to be safe. Less chance of a blob coming apart when the material is hardened.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101

My mechanic said the problem can be fixed by using silicone to stop oil from getting into the coil packs.
My question is that would the silicone cause any kind of contamination to my engine oil?

I would think the mechanic was suggesting silicone dielectric grease. I can't see how that would get into the engine oil.

All engine oils contain a teeny weeny bit of silicon from the siloxane polymer used to prevent oil foaming. Personally I wouldn't worry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back